Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world’s leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum helps protect more than 25 million working people and their families in the event of illness or injury. Colonial Life is a member of the Unum family of businesses and is a market leader in benefit solutions, specializing in personal insurance products offered to employees in the workplace.
Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum has significant U.S. operations in Portland, Maine, Worcester, Massachusetts and Glendale, California with over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide.
The objective of this program is to develop the participant’s management and leadership skills while accelerating broad business acumen across multiple core business areas to help further develop them for future leadership opportunities across the company.
The program consists of 3-4 cross functional job rotations over the course of 4-6 years. Job rotation assignments may vary from 12-24 months depending on the role, complexity and business needs. Business area rotations may include benefits, underwriting, customer services, enrollment, finance and marketing. In addition, this program includes a programmatic training and development component that will include a variety of training venues including classroom, self-study, field visits and project-based work which will occur throughout the duration of the program. Participants will each be assigned a leadership level mentor for the duration of the program to support them in their individualized professional growth and development plans. As an integral aspect of this Program, Participants will be expected early on in each rotation to assume an active role in managing some important aspect of the business related to their assignment. Participants will also provide feedback, suggestions and recommendations regarding process improvements, policies and procedures to the business areas as they proceed through the program.
Participants will be rigorously assessed after each cross functional rotation and re-qualified before moving onto the next phase of the program.
- Undergraduate degree with GPA of 3.3 or higher
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Math, Economics or Business is preferred
- Strong internship or equivalent work experience for graduating college seniors
- Demonstrated leadership abilities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Creative problem solving and strong analytical reasoning skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Highly motivated and self-directed
- Able to work independently within established timeframes
- Ability to think strategically and respond tactically in a dynamic environment
- Well organized and able to handle multiple priorities at one time
- Strong ability to influence, persuade, and negotiate with others
- Comfort with ambiguity
- Meets the standards for this position, as defined in the Talent Management framework
Unum and its family of businesses offer world-class training and development, generous compensation and benefits packages, and a culture built on employee ideas.
Unum and its family of businesses is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person’s race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Successfully complete 3-4 cross-functional job rotations including all required functional training; outstanding work performance while in the assigned roles; demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and effectively with others; self-directed in completing high quality work within established timelines. At least one job rotation will be outside of your primary location. Work locations may include Chattanooga TN, Portland ME, Columbia SC, Worcester MA, Glendale CA and Dorking United Kingdom.
- Work with a functional management during business rotations to gain deeper knowledge of each function, the day-to-day operations and interconnects with other parts of the business.
- Participate in and successfully complete all assigned training and development courses, assignments and projects. Incorporate and leverage this knowledge into daily work performance.
- Work on and/or lead special projects, as assigned, that require research and analysis. May involve partnering with other business areas to identify and resolve issues.
- Continuous assessment of established training and work processes to identify areas for effectiveness and efficiency improvements. Contributes to operating effectiveness through information sharing, suggested process improvements and effective implementation of change.
- Working with assigned mentor, develop personal developmental plan to complement program components to expand professional growth.
- Other duties as assigned.