The UW Medicine Neurological Surgery NIH Summer Student Program provides “Bench to Bedside” exposure to students seeking summer lab placements to explore basic and clinical neurosciences. Our hope is that students will be so excited by their work that they will desire to pursue an academic career in research and/or medicine. Our mission is to recruit and educate a wide spectrum of students from diverse backgrounds, including those under-represented in STEM field. We aim to broaden their knowledge base in the field of biomedical research, including translational, clinical, and basic research. The program seeks to inspire students to pursue a career in research, medicine, or allied fields, especially in the neurosciences.
· $3200 stipend for students
· Eight-week lab placement in one of our neuroscience labs
· Weekly Neurological Surgery Grand Rounds lectures
· Weekly Neurological Surgery Resident Education Hour discussions
· Weekly neuroscience faculty lectures, specifically developed for the students
· Neurological surgery OR observations
· Neurological surgery clinical observations
· Student capstone presentation
To date, 143 rising freshmen and college undergraduate students aged 18 and older from 80 different schools from across the U.S. have participated in the program.
· Joined 17 different laboratories and engaged with more than 20 faculty
· Attended over 140 unique Neurological Surgery Grand Rounds presentations
· Observed over 500 surgical procedures and clinical shadowing opportunities
· Followed 20 different attending neurological surgeons at three different UW affiliated hospitals
· Participated in 84 weekly student group presentations by 24 different faculty members
Over 20 students from our earlier classes have now been accepted into medical school and other clinical training programs. Many students just entering college have gone on to neuroscience or pre-med studies.
2022 Important Dates and eligibility information
Application period: November 1, 2021 – January 2, 2022
To apply, go to: https://neurosurgery.uw.edu/education/summer-student-programs
Acceptance notifications: March 1-15, 2022
Program dates (8 weeks): June 20, 2022 – August 12, 2022
Capstone student presentations: August 12, 2022 (friends and family are invited)
We strongly encourage applications from underrepresented minorities (URM) as defined by the NIH
· You must be 18 years of age or older by the first day of the program
· You must be either a US citizen or have permanent residency status. Visa holders are not eligible.
· University undergraduate students may apply if they are 18 years of age and older and are U.S. citizens or permanent residents. Graduate students are not eligible.
· High school students may apply if they will be 18 years of age or older by the first day of the program and are U.S. citizens or permanent residents
· You must have immunizations and TB test results which are current through the program end date.
· Out of area students will have housing stipends available but are responsible for their own meals and transportation.