Being a Paralegal Specialist in the United States Army is a great opportunity to get all the training you need, as well as job experience for the civilian world! The paralegal specialist is not like being a legal assistant, they are expected to provide legal/administrative support in all areas of criminal law, international law, civil/administrative law, contract law and fiscal law. They assist judges, Judge Advocates and unit commanders with a wide range of legal matters and judicial work.
Job Duties :
- Paralegal support to unit commanders and the Office of the Staff Judge Advocate
- Provide legal documents in courts-martial, Article 15 actions and other military justice matters
- Review line of duty determinations, AR 15-6 investigations, separation board proceedings and other administrative law matters
- Assistance in family law such as power of attorney, wills and separation decrees
Training for a paralegal specialist requires 10 weeks of Basic Combat Training, and 10 weeks of Advanced Individual Training with on-the-job instruction at Fort Jackson, South Carolina. Some of the skills you’ll learn are:
- Legal terminology and research techniques
- Preparation of legal documents
- Army judicial process
- Interviewing witnesses
Future Civilian Careers
The skills you learn will help prepare you for a career as a legal assistant, paralegal, or court clerk.
PARTNERSHIP FOR YOUTH SUCCESS (PaYS) Program
Those interested in this job may be eligible for civilian employment, after the Army, by enrolling in the Army PaYS program. The PaYS program is a recruitment option that guarantees a job interview with military friendly employers that are looking for experienced and trained Veterans to join their organization.
- AT&T, Inc.
- Hewlett- Packard Company
- Kraft Foods Global, Inc
- Sears Holdings Company
- Time Customer Service, Inc.
- Walgreen Co.
- Home Depot
- Paid training
- Salary Pay
- Housing and meal allowance for full-time positions
- 30 days of paid vacation each year, in addition to federal holidays
- 401(K) type savings plan
- Full-coverage medical and dental insurance for Soldiers and immediate family members
- Low-cost life insurance (up to $400,000 coverage)
- Education Benefits (GI Bill) – tuition, housing, and book fees for 36 academic months of college
- Tuition Assistance – up to $4500 per year
- Student Loan Repayment – up to $65,000 in college loan repayment
- Signing bonus – up to $40,000 in cash bonuses
In order to meet the minimum qualifications, you must:
- Be under 35 years old
- Be a US Citizen or Hold at least permanent residence (I-551/Greed Card)
- Have a High School Diploma/GED
- Have no major medical issues
- Have no major law violations (Felony level)
If you are interested in finding out more about this position, please apply now and within 24-48 hours, you will receive an email from our recruiting team, directly.