ONE is a nonpartisan global movement campaigning to end extreme poverty and preventable disease by 2030, so that everyone, everywhere can lead a life of dignity and opportunity. We believe the fight against poverty isn’t about charity, but about justice and equality. Whether lobbying political leaders in world capitals or running cutting-edge grassroots campaigns, ONE pressures governments to do more to fight extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa, and empowers citizens to hold their governments to account. We never ask for money, only your voice. We are looking for passionate student leaders to volunteer virtually from their campus.
Purpose and Impact:
- Join the fight against extreme poverty and preventable disease as a student leader virtually from anywhere in the country.
- Raise awareness and coordinate political action on your campus around ONE’s issues including education, global health, access to vaccines, transparency, economic relief, food security, and women and girls’ issues.
- Represent and organize your peers to influence your Members of Congress to pass legislation and fully fund life-saving programs.
1-5 hours per week depending on the campaign season
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as the primary point of contact between your school’s ONE Campus chapter and ONE staff.
- Under the guidance of a ONE Organizer, organize your chapter to participate in advocacy actions including but not limited to, meeting with your Members of Congress virtually, coordinating letters, tweets and phone calls to your elected officials, submitting Letters to the Editor, and organizing virtual or in-person meetings and events.
- Recruit a leadership team and send contact information of all student members to your ONE Organizer.
- Work with your school to get your ONE Campus Chapter officially recognized.
- Report all advocacy actions as well as all events/attendees by submitting a completed data spreadsheet to your ONE Regional Organizer within 48 hours of the action/event being completed.
- Ability to work both virtually and in-person from anywhere in the country.
- Join a select group of student leaders across the country committed to the fight against extreme poverty
- Learn about different careers in international affairs, global health, policy, and political advocacy
- Regular communication with instructions, guidance, and tips for executing ONE’s campaigns on campus including sample presentations, templates for letters, talking points, and sample emails.
- Free campaigning materials such as shirts, wristbands, tablecloths, etc. for your campaign efforts on campus
- Leadership training and mentorship with a ONE Organizer through 1-on-1 phone calls, skype sessions, and virtual regional meet-ups
- Opportunity to be featured on the ONE blog, in interviews, and local media
- Opportunity to attend the ONE Power Summit in Washington, DC or virtually for advocacy training, influential guest speakers, and meeting with Members of Congress
- Opportunity to attend and participate in local and virtual ONE trainings and other conferences
Skills, Knowledge and Attributes needed:
- Genuine passion for ONE’s issues
- Team building and leadership skills
- Excellent communication
- Talent for public speaking and event planning a plus
Volunteers must complete screening process over the phone or in-person with a ONE Regional Organizer