You are a driven and motivated problem solver ready to pursue meaningful work. You strive to make an impact every day & not only at work, but in your personal life and community too. If that sounds like you, then you’ve landed in the right place.
Gain Real World Experience. We’re in the business of helping people achieve amazing things. And you can help us when you join our team of underwriters. They are at the heart of everything we do. And by joining us, you’ll be on a team known throughout the industry for providing our customers with just the right amount of coverage they need to pursue their unique interests.
As a Commercial Surety Bond Underwriting Associate, professional development opportunities will come in the form of hands on training where shadowing team members within and outside of the commercial and contract surety bond underwriting team with various levels of experience is standard
Your underwriting career here means collaboration, inclusivity, innovative thinking and so much more. Here, we value self-starters and all ideas are welcome. It’s where opportunities exist to hone your underwriting skills by working with our sales teams, experienced underwriters and other leaders – and your career path can take any direction you might choose.
We’ll Be a Good Match if You Have:
• A customer-first mindset, putting our customers at the center of everything you do.
• A passion for making decisions through both analyzing data and employing critical thinking skills.
• A team spirit and desire to work collaboratively.
• A financial mindset to help make the best decisions.
• Ability to own our work and following through on commitments.
• Ability to decipher and execute within a fluid and changing business environment.
• An understanding of how to build relationships and trust among diverse groups.
• The ability to advance your career into technical OR leadership positions.
Beyond the training period, responsibilities include:
- Rigorously analyze underwriting information and assess varying risk within the framework of company standards and make recommendations to regional management.
- Maintain disciplined adherence to underwriting and service standards.
- A high degree of decision-making authority in the regional office while reviewing, renewing, and recommending changes or risk based adjustments to an existing book of business.
- Learn to weigh decisions between underwriting standards and customer needs and expectations.
- Balance risk relative to return to make effective and acceptable underwriting decisions.
- Co-travel with senior underwriters and assist with preparing for client meetings and agency visits.
- Learn the importance of cultivating customer and producer relationships to promote Bond products and services within the regional office.
- Seek out resources to identify and satisfy customer and producer needs.
- Share pertinent information to support product development, market research and identification of business opportunities between surety bond lines of business and other Hartford business units.
- Develop and implement strategy across the regional office.
- A balance of 50% Relationship Management and 50% Analytical
- Relationship Management involves marketing within your set territory to develop and strength relationships with insurance agents and brokers.
• Bachelor’s Degree strongly preferred, or equivalent combination of education, training and experience
• Excellent communication, interpersonal and presentation skills
• Ability to think analytically about business problems, make recommendations and propose solutions
• Possession of resilience and an entrepreneurial spirit
• Demonstration of solid time, organizational, and desk management skills
• Goal orientation and ability to deliver outcomes in timely manner • Challenge the status quo to implement improvement and compete to win
The listed annualized base pay range is primarily based on analysis of similar positions in the external market. Actual base pay could vary and may be above or below the listed range based on factors including but not limited to performance, proficiency and demonstration of competencies required for the role. The base pay is just one component of The Hartford’s total compensation package for employees. Other rewards may include short-term or annual bonuses, long-term incentives, and on-the-spot recognition. The annualized base pay range for this role is:
$54,800 – $82,200
Our company’s success is due to our employees’ dedication and passion for their work. They are our greatest asset. That’s why we are committed to offering employees and their families a comprehensive benefits package and award-winning well-being programs. By helping our employees achieve their full potential, we unlock our own. Visit https://www.thehartford.com/careers/benefits for details.