WHO WE ARE:
The Teacher Retirement System of Texas is the largest public retirement system in Texas, serving more than 1.5 million people. Innovation, technology, and collaboration make the difference as we strive to continue earning your trust every day. TRS improves the retirement security of Texas public education employees through our ‘best in class’ investment management and delivery of pension and health care benefits.
Our Mission: Improving the retirement security of TRS members by prudently investing and managing the Trust assets and delivering benefits that make a positive difference in their lives.
The Investment Operations Analyst – Senior Analyst performs routine investment-related financial, budget, and accounting work. Work involves assisting with or planning, designing, implementing and administering of investment information and reporting; compiling, analyzing, evaluating and reporting on investment processes and related financial data; and consulting with Investment portfolio managers and TRS management on information and reporting needs. Work involves assisting with the monitoring and development of annual budget, procurement plan, and monthly reporting of results of actual versus plan. Works under moderate to general supervision with limited to moderate latitude for initiative and independent judgment. This position reports to an Investment Operations Manager.
Compensation: The TRS Investment Management Division offers an attractive compensation package consisting of base salary, annual performance incentive bonus, a defined-benefit pension plan as well as 401(k) and 457 retirement plans, and comprehensive benefits.
Starting salary is commensurate with experience.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
Reporting, Analysis, & Data Management
- Performs research and analysis of investment data, including conferring with Investment portfolio managers, TRS management, and staff to define scope and deliverables to meet business data and reporting needs.
- Assists with and researches the causes of and reconciles financial, holdings, performance and other investment data discrepancies on a daily, monthly, quarterly, and annual basis with accounting, custodian, and other investment systems for public and/or private markets.
- Assists with and determines user needs and collaborates with data teams, makes assessments, implements project plans, and updates policies and procedures.
- Assists with or identifies and shares best practices with team members and supports management reporting.
- Assists with operational due diligence review for new external investment managers.
- Reviews metrics, outcomes, and reporting objectives.
- Reviews monthly pricing and valuations of investments.
- Provides support for audit requests or accounting reports.
Financial and Budgeting Reporting and Analysis
- Reviews journal entries and reconciliation of accounts.
- Prepares monthly, quarterly, and annual financial management reports; including variance analysis.
- Prepares weekly, monthly, and operational reporting (Travel, Procurements in Process, Contract Renewals, internal audit status, headcount).
- Analyzes budget to actual reporting along with forecasting remainder of the year to ensure expenses are within budget and variances are explainable.
- Provides subject matter expertise on business and investment related data.
- Works with owners to create and present investment data for decision making.
- Assists with the administration of data management governance, including performing quality control of data and document changes.
· Performs related work as assigned
WHAT YOU WILL BRING
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in business administration, finance, accounting, operations research, math, information technology, liberal arts or a related area.
- A Master’s degree in a related area may substitute for a year of the required experience.
Required Registration, Certification, or Licensure:
- One (1) to Three (3) year(s) of full-time professional investments experience or other experience involving a high degree of skill in data analysis and evaluation, such as accounting, financial analysis, or statistics.
- Experience analyzing, reconciling, and reporting on investment performance data.
- Certification as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) and/or Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst (CAIA) or working towards CPA/CFA/CAIA.
- Experience with software languages, database and report writing technology (SQL, SSRS, and PowerBI).
- Basic understanding of capital markets, investment securities (equities, bonds, and derivatives), and/or private markets (real estate or private equity).
- Basic understanding of investment performance measurement.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Investment concepts, terminology, styles, models, strategies, and fundamental investment factors.
- Financial concepts, methods, and models, and their application to investments.
- Business process management and improvement.
- Negotiation and consensus building.
- Programming in one or more languages
- Performing financial analysis.
- Verifying and auditing financial data.
- Using a computer in a Windows environment with MS Office word processing, spreadsheet (including advanced Excel functions and macros), and database systems; report writing; and other business software.
- Conducting data searches and evaluations of large amounts of information, performing complex statistical analysis of the data, and preparing concise and accurate reports.
- Effective verbal and written communication of complex financial information to people of varying backgrounds, including skill in presenting analysis and recommendations.
- Organize work assignments to effectively meet frequent and/or multiple deadlines, in handling multiple tasks simultaneously, and in managing conflicting priorities and demands.
- Analyze problems and devise effective solutions.