Internships at Smith Center for Healing and the Arts
Internships at Smith Center for Healing at the Arts offer the opportunity to develop leadership and professional skills and gain valuable nonprofit experience, all while contributing to the mission to serve the needs of individuals affected by cancer. Interns will be placed in one of five focus areas, where they will work closely with mentors and managers as valuable members of the Smith Center team. In addition to day-to-day responsibilities, interns will have the opportunity to take part in Smith Center programming, receive formal training, and share in community-building with a cohort of peers. Smith Center for Healing and the Arts seeks individuals who are able to earn academic credit for their internship through an accredited academic institution.
The Internship Program follows the academic semester calendar:
● Summer 2020, Fall 2020, and Spring 2021
Qualified interns may be invited to return for a subsequent semester at the discretion of their supervisors. Each intern may be asked to return for the orientation of the next term’s intern to train his/her successor.
The Operations & Finance Interns will gain insight into the leadership of our nonprofit as s/he enthusiastically supports the work of Smith Center’s Finance & Operations Department. The interns will work closely with the Operations Manager and Operations Coordinator to assist with general clerical support, administrative tasks, the audit process, financial reports, grant reports, Information Technology and research related to Smith Center’s mission. This position may also provide additional support to other Smith Center Departments.
In addition to the specific qualifications sought by managers of individual focus areas, all internship candidates should possess the following characteristics:
● Ability to earn academic credit through an accredited educational institution
● Ability to commit to 15-25 hours/week over the course of the internship
● High level of responsibility and ability to own projects
● Ability to take initiative and work independently as well as with a team
● Demonstrated desire to grow personally and professionally
● Professional communication skills
● Excellent time management and organizational skills
● Friendly, outgoing and positive attitude
● Passion for the work, mission and values of Smith Center
● Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel