What is the Opportunity?
SMBC hosts a 10-week Summer Intern Program for undergraduate students who will have the opportunity to work on teams, be exposed to significant firm-wide projects within their respective business areas and support a range of deals with our clients.
We offer many different opportunities including building financial models, developing client presentations, conducting research, and observing client meetings – all to improve their understanding of the global banking industry.
Our Summer Intern Program is an excellent gateway to our full-time Analyst Program.
We are currently hiring into the following Coverage & Capital Markets areas:
Please only apply to one Summer Intern Program job opportunity, you will only be considered for ONE vertical.
- Check out all of our upcoming events here https://smbc.recsolu.com/external/events_central
- Join our Talent Community here https://smbc.recsolu.com/external/form/vTPZ-CCjAwKv33VEMC5JhQ
Corporate & Investment Banking Coverage (CIBC)
Corporate Solutions Group (CSG)
Within CIBC, the Corporate Solutions Group is growing and looking for premier junior talent that is eager to learn and take on responsibility. Our goal is to recruit and invest in the next generation of bankers, preparing them to best serve both SMBC’s clients and the firm.
CSG augments our client coverage efforts by generating timely and relevant ideas that provide SMBC’s clients with best-in-class advice and solutions regarding capital structure, ratings, liquidity, debt capacity, M&A finance, and more using a product agnostic approach.
A career in CSG is one that offers a high level of interaction with key client decision makers, as well as with colleagues throughout the bank in various product groups including loan, debt & equity capital markets, derivatives and investment banking as well as client & product teams in Tokyo, London, and Singapore.
Lending Management Group (LMG)
Within CIBC, the Lending Management Group is responsible for end to end deal execution and portfolio management. We provide credit applications for approval by the risk management department, review quarterly financial and annual reports, conduct regular credit analysis of the clients in the portfolio, provide research and analytics, and perform other administrative responsibilities. We conduct financial analysis on our clients to assess both historical performance and future expectations. We gather supporting documentation to facilitate execution of client transactions, liaise with middle and back office for KYC purposes, and handle a variety of system and credit administrative issues related to our clients such as internal grading and monthly/quarterly reporting.
Within CIBC, the marketing arm acts as SMBC’s primary point of contact to find creative solutions to client needs, build long term relationships, and promote SMBC’s full suite of financial products and services. It’s our job to make sure clients experience seamless coverage across the entire bank. A career in CIBC coverage is the only one that collaborates across all products and across our broad geographic footprint. As the first line of defense, it is our job to protect the balance sheet and make sure that capital is allocated to find the best balance of risk and reward.
Sustainable Finance & Advisory (SFA)
The Sustainable Finance & Advisory Group supports our clients across the Americas and across all products with implementing ESG and sustainability strategy, principally through integration into financial products such as green bonds, sustainability-linked loans and related instruments. The SFA Group is one of the bank’s newest teams, responding to and helping drive the megatrend of ESG and financial integration.
The SFA Group:
- Works directly with clients to propose, negotiate and execute sustainable finance transactions in the context of a rapidly evolving market with opportunity for innovation and expansion on nascent concepts. A summer intern would participate in both internal and external conferences, provide in-depth research on client sustainability strategy and prepare client-facing communication.
- Coordinates with global colleagues in EMEA, Tokyo, Singapore and elsewhere to expand market awareness and deliver cutting-edge insights. A summer intern would engage with colleagues globally to understand the differences and similarities in how ESG and finance are evolving.
- Supports the bank’s overall ESG strategy by consulting on the business implications of sustainability-driven policies such as lending policies, climate change risk analysis and building awareness of the emissions of the lending portfolio. A summer intern would gain exposure to these topics and understand bank implementation considerations.
Financial Institutions Group (GFIG)
GFIG offers comprehensive banking solutions to our clients by leveraging the strength of SMBC Group, our products and services, and our global platform. We work closely with product partners across the firm, serving as the primary point of contact for our clients to connect them to the broader SMBC Group, while acting as an advisor to our clients and recommending the best financial products for their needs. Our FIG team is a rising market leader, covering funds, sponsors, and various specialty finance companies
High Yield Capital Markets
The High Yield Capital Markets group is a client-facing group within SMBC’s broker dealer, SMBC Nikko Securities America Inc. The group is responsible for providing capital markets advisory for non-investment grade rated corporations and sponsor portfolio companies. The group advises on capital structure, new issue pricing, and syndication strategies for new debt offerings. High Yield Capital Markets also provides “real-time” market insight by leveraging the High Yield Sales & Trading team’s direct feedback from investors.
Investment Grade Debt Capital Markets (DCM)
DCM is responsible for delivering the full spectrum of financing solutions for the bank’s clients via the fixed-income market, including:
– Advising on structure, price, and strategy for primary market debt offerings, often part of broader multi-product pitches
– Facilitating dialogue between issuers and fixed-income investors
– Advising on debt portfolio optimization via liability management exercises
– Providing advisory service to clients on the ratings process, regulatory environment and hybrid capital structuring
– Gathering investor orders for primary market issuances and ultimately allocating those debt securities appropriately
Leveraged and Acquisition Finance Group (LAFG)
Leveraged Finance is a client-facing division of SMBC, responsible for delivering the full front-to-back spectrum of lead leveraged loan and high yield bond solutions to our client base including, private equity sponsors and their portfolio companies and non-Investment grade corporates. Leveraged & Acquisition Finance interacts with bank and institutional clients via its Sales & Trading desks within the broader Loan Capital Markets and Nikko Fixed Income platforms.
Loan Syndications (LCM)
LCM is responsible for the structuring, underwriting, execution and distribution of syndicated loan transactions across all industry and origination groups at SMBC. We work with and advise the front office marketing (origination) units in order to successfully pitch corporate and financial sponsor clients in a combined effort to win lead-mandates for syndicated loan facilities. Proposals to prospective clients usually involve coordination and partnership with other SMBC and Nikko (our Securities unit) product groups (Debt Capital Markets, FX, Derivatives Marketing and so on) in order to provide comprehensive, multiproduct financing solutions to our clients. Once a lead mandate for a syndicated loan is received, the LCM team is responsible for execution and distribution of loans to both banks and institutional investors.
At SMBC, we connect the diversity of our employees to the resilience of our firm. We strongly encourage an inclusive environment so that our staff can be their authentic selves and fully thrive in their roles. It is our belief that diversity is not only about demographic differences but also of thought, knowledge, skills, and culture. The acceptance of such diversity strengthens each one of us and is essential to the success of our firm. We are deeply committed to attracting and retaining a high-performing, talented, and diverse workforce.
We are a market leader. The evolution of SMBC’s products and services is driven by the ever-changing needs of companies across the globe in every industry sector. SMBC takes market-leading positions and has been consistently recognized in the banking industry for providing outstanding financial services.
Our corporate relationships are built on trust. To successfully navigate an uncertain economy while also capitalizing on the opportunities that rise, clients count on SMBC to take a long-term view that emphasizes stability and attention to the numbers. This approach has served our clients well.
Our competitive advantage:
– A strong client base with broad coverage of the Fortune 500
– Worldwide operations enable us to provide clients with global solutions, make SMBC the leading choice for U.S. businesses expanding in Asia
– A solid balance sheet and conservative approach
How Our Program Works
Our Summer Intern Program is designed for students who completed their junior year.
This 10-week program commences in June and includes:
– Training with on-the-desk experience
– Senior Speaker Series
– Japanese cultural activities
– Social networking activities
– Volunteer Day with a local nonprofit
– Mentorship opportunity with both a junior and senior mentor at SMBC
The successful candidate will possess or demonstrate the following personal and professional attributes:
– Currently pursuing an undergraduate degree from an accredited university with a graduation date of December 2022 or May 2023; excellent academic record
– 3.2 GPA or higher
– Exceptional written and verbal communication skills with specific ability to communicate concepts and ideas concisely
– Financial modeling/valuation and analytical skills; keen interest in finance and markets
– Ability to comfortably interact with clients in a professional and mature manner
– Outstanding ethics, integrity, and judgment
– Intellectual curiosity
– Comfort in and commitment to a strong teamwork environment
– Highly organized, detail oriented, self-driven, and motivated
– Advanced Word, Excel, and PowerPoint skills and the ability to quickly learn new software applications