For more than 30 years, Rainforest Action Network (RAN) has campaigned to preserve forests, protect the climate and uphold human rights by challenging corporate power and systemic injustice through research, education, partnerships, non-violent direct action, grassroots organizing, strategic campaigns and communications. We are committed to working with Indigenous and frontline communities directly impacted by profit-driven systems of injustice. In partnership with allies from around the world, RAN challenges corporations to stop destructive operations, respect human rights, and adopt policies that reduce their contributions to climate change. RAN is committed to doing what is necessary, not only what is considered politically feasible.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
Rainforest Action Network is seeking a Communications Manager to help shape and execute the communications strategy for our Climate and Energy Program.
The successful candidate will be deeply committed to fighting climate change, ending deforestation, and upholding human rights. They will possess excellent judgment, be adaptable to rapidly shifting programmatic developments, and eager to seize media opportunities.
The ideal candidate will be able to produce compelling, high quality, detail-intensive work often on tight deadlines. Exceptionally strong writing skills and an ability to pinpoint effective messages are critical. Experience working with traditional news media and a track record of taking projects to successful completion are also highly desired.
Working closely with RAN’s Senior Communications Strategist as well as members of the RAN Climate and Energy team, the Communications Manager will be responsible for leading communications for RAN’s Climate and Energy Program. The Communications Manager is primarily responsible for developing communications materials, pitching and placing stories, building relationships with journalists and producers, as well as serving as a spokesperson on related campaigns. In addition, this position is tasked with coordinating, developing and executing the messaging strategy for the Climate and Energy Program and the production process for related communication materials. In particular the job duties include:
● Work with Climate and Energy Program staff to develop and implement strategic, media-worthy campaign events. Crafting long-term strategic vehicles for promoting RAN and program messages and stories.
● Handle rapid response communication, developing messages, and writing op-eds, letters to the editor, talking points and other media materials.
● Spearhead and manage production of creative print and online collateral, including high-impact ads and clever web videos, shareable social media content, etc.
● Write and copy-edit material for RAN publications, RAN.org, RAN social media channels and activist emails.
● Contribute to staff-wide strategy meetings, and stay current on developments in energy, finance and climate issues.
● Train and coach staff, volunteers and constituents for media availabilities; act as media liaison during media events.
● Create press lists and keep media contact database current.
● Conduct target- and market-specific media research as necessary to support campaign objectives.
● Cultivate relationships with vendors and other strategic allies who can help in furthering promotion of the program.
● Draft potential social media content for RAN’s social media channels.
● Some travel may be required when safe travel returns.
● Demonstrable enthusiasm for and understanding of RAN’s mission, programs and strategies, including the use of non-violent direct action as a core strategy.
● Knowledge of issues associated with climate change, clean and renewable energy, investment and finance community, and/or social change movements.
● A strong and demonstrable racial justice and anti-oppression analysis.
● Demonstrable experience in media relations and/or public relations — a journalism background alone does not meet the qualifications for this job.
● Excellent oral and written communications skills (Strong framing and messaging skills) that are adaptable to various offline and online media as well as public settings, organizational meetings, and one-on-one interactions.
● Experience working with a broad range of activists, communities, partners and allies, including grassroots communities. Experience partnering with Indigenous and other frontline and fenceline communities highly desired.
● Demonstrable experience with online promotion and/or communications.
● Ability to flourish in a fast-paced, activist-oriented environment.
● Strong judgment assessing tactics and campaigns successful in attracting media attention.
● Solid copy-editing skills and familiarity with AP Style.
● Demonstrated ability to set priorities effectively in a heavy workload and coordinate complex projects.
● Demonstrated initiative, flexibility and creativity.
● Experience working within a racial justice and racial equity framework.
● 2 years prior experience as a media liaison or journalist in related areas.
● Prior experience with online promotion.
● Proven ability to build relationships with reporters (existing relationships with environment, climate, business and/or finance reporters and bloggers especially desired).
● Proven ability to develop creative offline and online content.
● Familiarity with media database technology
● Familiarity or experience with visual storytelling.
The Climate and Energy Communications Manager will be a member of the Communications Team while also embedded within the Climate and Energy Team.. This position will be supervised by the Senior Communications Strategist.
RAN strives to integrate values of equity and fairness into our work, which includes bringing an intentional racial justice analysis to our programmatic work and organizational structure. We are seeking candidates who have a commitment to engage in this ongoing process and work with us to create a just and inclusive work environment and world. RAN provides all people with equal employment and volunteer opportunities while also staying committed to providing accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. We encourage applicants of color to apply for this position.