Responsible for establishing mission, vision, planning, direction, assessment and leadership for effective infection prevention and control programs for hospital and outpatient services in areas of surveillance, reporting, prevention and control of infections including related regulatory compliance, accreditation standard compliance and quality/performance improvement.
1. Provides strategic and operational direction for the framework of an integrated approach to Infection Prevention and Control program.
2. Directs and coordinates infection prevention and control program facility-wide through a variety of activities involving medical staff and s personnel to ensure protection of patients, families, visitors, employees and healthcare personnel providing services in facilities from acquiring or disseminating an infection.
3. Provides administrative direction and organization for all epidemic investigations related to Healthcare associated or community-acquired infections and/or occupational exposures in order to assure necessary patient safety and risk management practices are addressed following current evidence-based approach and regulatory requirements.
4. Coordinates, develops and provides education and educational materials regarding disease transmission and practices for infection prevention and control for all system entities.
5. Provides leadership and consultation to medical staff and leadership.
6. Coordinates and participates in reporting of infection control information to appropriate medical staff and department committees, administration and hospital or system committees.
7. Directs performance improvement process and reporting for infection prevention and control on behalf of administration
8. Coordinates medical and hospital research projects regarding infection prevention and control issues, outcomes and cost-benefit studies.
9. Has responsibility for human resources management within areas of responsibility to achieve quality services and maintain positive employee relations.
10. Promotes professional development of self and staff.
11. Provides direction for fiscal management for department operations to ensure proper utilization of financial resources.
12. Maintains a working knowledge of and provides information to ensure compliance with rules, regulations and recommendations from Federal, State, and accrediting agencies as they relate to infection prevention and control.
13. Collaborates with Emergency Preparedness leadership for emergency preparedness related to infection prevention and control, including emerging and reemerging diseases, bioterrorism, natural disasters and other issues.
EDUCATION: Minimum Bachelor’s degree in healthcare clinical field. Healthcare related Master’s degree preferred.
- Registered nurse or other applicable Masters level or above degree program.
- Current Certification in Infection Control (CIC) required
EXPERIENCE: Minimum of ten (10) years’ experience in acute care setting with at least five (5) years in Infection Prevention and Control. Management experience (including experience working with physicians and various levels of hospital management) required.