National PTA is seeking a Senior Manager of Government Affairs to lead our congressional outreach and manage all federal policy and lobbying activities on behalf of National PTA. The individual will also provide analysis on legislation and regulations, and advocate on selected issues on behalf of PTA members before Congress and the Administration.
· Manage National PTA’s federal policy and lobbying activities, including the association’s congressional and administration outreach
· Lead the development and production of National PTA’s Public Policy Agenda
· Monitor and analyze legislation, best practices and federal funding streams in selected policy areas
· Develop policy positions related to policy portfolio and serves as point of contact to related policy coalitions
· Provide strategic analysis on federal programs and policies in selected issue areas
· Advocate on behalf of PTA members to a variety of external audiences, including congressional staff, federal agencies and the Administration, and representatives of other national education organizations
· Prepare letters to Congress and the Administration, coalition sign-on letters, public comment and testimony
· Draft legislation and report language for congressional offices and committees to advance PTA’s policy agenda
· Attend Capitol Hill briefings, White House and agency briefings, coalition meetings, congressional hearings and mark-ups, press conferences and other policy-related meetings to gather and present information
· Manage the annual Legislative Conference and project management team, including development of content, selection and invitation of speakers, preparation of materials, planning and moderating events, and conducting conference follow-up and communications
· Draft content for PTA publications, including e-newsletters, blogs and Our Children Magazine, and internal memos and briefing materials for PTA leadership on policy issues
· Serve as a staff liaison to selected National volunteer committee(s) and/or task force(s)
· Support Government Affairs staff on other National committee(s) or task force(s) as needed
· Establish and maintain positive working relationships with National PTA elected leadership and state PTA leaders and members.
Business Operations, General Functions & Duties
· Supervise, mentor and coach the Government Affairs Coordinator; provide guidance, work direction and evaluate performance
· Work with other departments on organizational projects as needed
· Represent National PTA at necessary public events, panels, workshops, conferences and advocacy gatherings
· Oversee and maintain vendor and consultant relationships
· Other duties as assigned by the Director of Government Affairs or designee
· Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree
· At least 6 years related experience in public policy, working on Capitol Hill, in a state legislature, or non-profit association.
· Knowledge of legislative and regulatory processes, education and child advocacy issues is required
· Understanding of, and experience in non-profit and affiliate or chapter-based associations
· Strong time and task management skills
· Professional demeanor and excellent interpersonal and verbal/written communication skills
· Effective organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills
· Proven ability to prioritize, execute project tasks and conform to shifting priorities as needed
· Highly motivated and independent, yet team-oriented
· Ability to meet deadlines and use technology to improve workflow and work productively in a collaborative environment
· Excellent customer service skills
· Demonstrated presentation and public speaking skills
· Possess strong computer and other standard office equipment skills
· Work is performed in a professional office environment; general office hours are 8:30 AM – 5:30 PM
· Position may be required to work occasional evenings and weekends for special programs and/or events
· Incumbents routinely uses standard office equipment including computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, etc.
· This is a largely sedentary role. Routine activities and special events may require the ability to lift files, packages and related materials weighing up to 20 lbs and to bend or stand as necessary.
· Position requires ≤ 10% travel domestically
· Job Knowledge
· Teamwork & Collaboration
· Organizational Relations
The review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. For best consideration, please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 16, 2020, PTA an equal opportunity employer. We seek applicants of diverse backgrounds and hire without regard to color, gender, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by law.