This is an AmeriCorps National Service opportunity to make a direct impact in your community. Our AmeriCorps members support Minnesota Alliance With Youth’s mission of working in partnership with youth to ensure that ALL young people have equitable educational opportunities that foster their individual assets, honor their voices, and prepare them to reach their goals. Come join us for our 10th year of improving the educational outcomes of students across Minnesota.
Young people in Minnesota are facing a graduation crisis. Nearly 1 in 5 Minnesota high school students did not graduate on time in 2019. Those who do not graduate are disproportionately lower-income students and students of color. These young people are not just statistics, they are students with great potential, but who, over time, become academically disengaged; not showing up for school, receiving suspensions, failing to turn in homework, and earning failing or low course grades. As these young people become increasingly disconnected from the school and community, they become more and more at risk of dropping out.
AmeriCorps Promise Fellows support, mentor, and build positive relationships with young people in 6-12th grade on their path to high school graduation. Fellows provide one-on-one and small group support to a focus list of students in a school or non-profit organization. This is a perfect opportunity for individuals interested in exploring a career in counseling, teaching, or youth work.
Fellows will be trained in student-mentor relationship-building skills and goal-setting techniques. Fellows receive support and training throughout the year and are encouraged to explore their own goals and have the opportunity to be paired with a Life Coach. 20% of AmeriCorps Promise Fellow return for the second year of service.
- AmeriCorps Living Stipend: $930 twice per month
- AmeriCorps Education Award: $3,172.50 Education Award upon successful completion of service. This award can be used toward federally qualifying student loans or future post-secondary education.
- Benefits: Health and dental insurance, qualified student loan forbearance, qualified child care assistance, AmeriCoach life coach, TAP transportation card (metro area), support applying for SNAP benefits (if eligible)
- Training: Establish-Maintain-Restore Relationship Building, WOOP (Wish, Outcome, Obstacle, Plan) Goal Setting, Motivational Interviewing, and a series of relevant Equity focused training topics relevant to supporting middle school and high school students in Minnesota. Training also included student database and AmeriCorps compliance training.
Promise Fellows serve students in 6th-12th grade students. Your service includes providing direct support to up to 15 students in:
- Attendance: Provide attendance coaching, call home if students miss class, organize field trips or other special events to make learning and being at school more engaging and relevant
- Engagement: Provide avenues for increased youth engagement in school and the broader community by coordinating lunchtime mentoring programs, promoting youth leadership development through a student-led peer mediation program, and connecting youth with community and civic opportunities.
- Course Performance: Provide before, in, and after school academic support for individuals and small groups. Connect after-school service-learning projects with classroom instruction, connect students with a mentor or tutor, and incorporate math/reading games into after-school programming.
Visit our website to learn more and apply today!