This posting is for the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) work located in the 21-county North Region area indicated by the map below. We are looking for interns to assist and gain hands-on experience in the areas of highway construction, traffic operations, and surveying, just to name a few. The work assignments will be located in our MDOT offices/sites in Alpena, Gaylord, Kalkaska and Traverse City.
Assignments will be taken into consideration based on your first and second preference location selection on this application. NOTE: If you are located in Missaukee, Wexford or Manistee Counties, you may want to apply to the MDOT Internship Program in both the North Region and Grand Region, which has an office in Cadillac.
The MDOT Internship Program offers undergraduate/graduate students the opportunity to gain work experience, develop professional competence and long-range career goals, integrate work experiences with academic knowledge, and establish a professional network.
Typical Work Assignments
In an on-the-job training capacity, work assignments could include performing entry and intermediate level work, including but not limited to inspection, testing, surveying, design plans, and project administration for the department road, bridge, and facilities programs.
2021 Pay Rates
First Year: $16.17/hour
Second Year: $17.57/hour
Third Year: $18.07/hour
Fourth Year: $18.59/hour
Fifth Year: $18.96/hour
Sixth Year: $19.53/hour
Required Education and Experience
- Open to all undergraduate/graduate students currently enrolled and studying in the engineering and technology fields with priority to Civil Engineering, Civil Technology, Construction Management, and Land Surveying.
- Cumulative GPA must be a 2.0 or higher.
- First year: Students can apply now, but must have earned a minimum of 24 semester credits or 36 term credits before entry into the program in May.
- Subsequent years: Returning students must show reasonable accumulation of credits, up to the maximum number of years allowed in the program (six years). Student must have earned at least the following number of credits for each returning year:
- 2nd year – 36 semester credits or 51 term credits
- 3rd year – 48 semester credits or 66 term credits
- 4th year – 60 semester credits or 81 term credits
- 5th year – 72 semester credits or 96 term credits
- 6th year – 84 semester credits or 111 term credits
- Last semester official college transcript and current course schedule to be attached to the on-line application (college transcript is not required for first semester/term students).
- Final official transcript must be provided to maintain employment.
Failure to meet the above requirements for new and returning students may result in forfeiting any rights of consideration for employment or, if hired, may lead to dismissal.
Additional Requirements and Information
- Successful completion of a pre-employment drug screen.
- Valid Driver’s License.
- Candidates are required to demonstrate progression in the program by enrolling and successfully completing classes and courses that are consistent with their area of study.
- The program may require a Certification in Federal Material Testing and Sampling Methods (involves passing a written and proficiency exam to be completed after hire.)
- Participation in the program could lead to a permanent position within the Michigan Department of Transportation for college seniors after successful completion of the season and satisfactory performance.
The department reserves the right to close this posting prior to its original end date once a sufficient number of applications have been received.
Click here for more information on the MDOT Internship Program.
This is a seasonal program that runs from approximately May 1 – October 31, 2021 and includes the following benefits:
- Overtime compensation (per SEIU bargaining agreement)
- Competitive pay rates
- Flexible work schedules (contingent upon operational need)
- Holiday pay
- 16 hours of initial annual leave
- Accrue annual and sick leave every pay period (per SEIU bargaining agreement)
- 401K benefits
Questions or comments?
Contact: Internship Coordinator, e-mail address firstname.lastname@example.org