MDTA Entry Level Police Officer
Police Recruit: $48,438
Police Officer I: $55,028 (Upon graduation from Academy)
Police Officer II: $58,334 (Upon completion of two year probationary period without step increment)
Police Officer II: $60,670 (Upon completion of two year probationary period with step increment)
Maryland Transportation Authority
OPEN TO ALL QUALIFIED APPLICANTS
This is entry level trainee work in law enforcement and security for the Maryland Transportation Authority (MDTA). The employees in this classification will complete a training program conducted by the Maryland Transportation Authority Police as required by the Maryland Police Training Commission. MDTA Police Officer Recruits will be sworn to uphold and enforce the laws of the State of Maryland on all properties under the Maryland Transportation Authority’s jurisdiction.
Employees receive supervision from a higher level officer. Employees in this classification may work rotating shifts, weekends and holidays. Employees in this classification are considered essential employees and are subject to emergency call back procedures, twenty-four hours a day, as may be required in order to maintain continuous operation of a facility. The work is performed both indoors and outdoors in all weather conditions and includes standing and walking in tunnels or on bridges and roadways under conditions of traffic noise and congestion and possible exposure to fumes and smoke.
Education: Graduation from a standard high school or possession of a high school equivalency certificate acceptable to the Maryland State Board of Education as described in the Police Training Commission regulation.
Note: The above educational requirement is set by the Police Training Commission in accordance with the Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR) 12.04.01.04C.
Licenses & Certifications
Employees in this classification are assigned duties that require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator’s license valid in the State of Maryland. Applicants must list the license number and date of expiration on the application.
1. Physical Agility Test
2. Orientation and Written Examination
3. Oral Board Interview
4. Background Investigation
5. Polygraph Examination
6. Medical and Psychological Examination
TO APPLY: Visit www.mdtapolice.maryland.gov
1. Minimum selection standards for police officer certification are established by the Police
Training Commission. These selection criteria are listed in detail in the Code of Maryland Regulations Title 12, Subtitle 04, Chapter 01 and include the following:
· U.S. Citizenship
· Possession of High School Diploma or GED
· Must be at least 21 years of age by the completion of the MDTA Police Training Academy
· A complete background investigation, including a check of criminal history
· Oral interview
· Medical examination
· Possession of a driver’s license valid in the State of Maryland
2. Candidates will be required to submit to a polygraph examination and satisfactorily complete an entrance test and an agency job related agility test.
3. An offer of employment may be conditioned on the result of a medical examination by the agency physician and a mental health examination by a licensed health care professional in order to determine the candidate’s ability to perform essential job tasks.
4. Employees are subject to a two year probationary period. However, after successful graduation from the Maryland Transportation Police Training Academy, MDTA Police Officer Recruits are eligible for reclassification to the MDTA Police Officer I level.
5. This is an emergency essential classification subject to emergency release procedures. The employee is required to remain or report for duty at such hours, day or night, in order to maintain continuous operation of a facility.
6. Employees are required to maintain a reliable communication link (telephone or beeper) for the purpose of emergency call back requirements.
7. Employees in this classification will be required to bear firearms and to demonstrate practical knowledge and proficiency in the safe use and care of firearms on a periodic basis, as required by the Police and Correctional Training Commission.
8. Candidates will be subject to pre-employment drug testing in accordance with the Transportation Code of Maryland Regulations 11.02.11, Testing for Illegal Use of Drugs.
9. Employees in these safety-sensitive classifications are subject to random and/or post- accident drug/alcohol testing in accordance with the Transportation Code of Maryland Regulations 11.02.11, Testing for Illegal Use of Drugs.
10. Eligible applicants may be subject to a background investigation under federal or State laws and regulations. A conviction is not an automatic disqualification to employment. Erroneous, misleading or fraudulent information on an application is sufficient grounds for rejection from the hiring process, removal from the list of eligibles, withdrawal of an offer of employment or immediate discharge.
11. Candidates are hired based upon the needs of the Department. Successful completion of all phases of the hiring process does not guarantee a Final Offer of Employment.
Note: The Maryland Transportation Authority is not sponsoring new employees in application of the H-1B Visa at this time due to budgetary constraints. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States under the Immigration and Reform Control Act of 1986. Federal regulations prohibit H-1B Visa candidates from paying sponsorship fees, all sponsorship fees must be assumed by the potential employer.
WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER MDTA does not discriminate based on age, ancestry, color, creed, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, mental or physical disability, national origin, race, religious affiliation, belief or opinion, sex, or sexual orientation.
Relay Service: 1-800-735-2258
TTY Number: 711
Issue Date: 1/27/17