Are you interested in a hands-on real-world learning experience directly related to the skills needed in a full-time construction career? In this internship, you will have the opportunity to develop, participate and learn key roles and functions within construction management.
Our mission is to make a difference and we offer opportunities for you to make one too through our construction operations. Whether we’re boring tunnels through mountains, turning rivers into energy or building bridges that connect communities, we depend on our passionate, skilled, and safety-obsessed construction professionals to get it done right. You bring your big ideas, commitment to top quality, and an unwavering work ethic. In return, we offer huge career and travel opportunities and the satisfaction of building the next big thing from the ground up. There’s a reason Kiewit attracts the best: we offer fast-paced excitement and fulfillment you won’t find anywhere else.
Kiewit Southwest District specializes in heavy civil, transportation and water projects, we typically self-perform a large portion of the work. We self-perform work such as mass grading, drainage, PCCP paving, utilities and more. We are looking for people committed to the construction industry with safety, quality, costs and schedule in mind.
One of the many things that makes Kiewit’s culture unique is that we go where the work is, which exposes your career to abundant opportunities. We relocate our teams based on the work that is available, combined with the development plans, skill sets and career goals of each team member. This means your Kiewit adventure is custom-designed to meet our shared needs. Although headquartered in Phoenix, Arizona, the Southwest District has projects that span across the entire nation for rail specific projects. Our work spans as far north as Washington and as far east as Texas. Our projects are in both large cities and small towns, so our people must be willing to go where the work is. Job assignment location will be determined closer to your start date. Must be able to travel and relocate as business requires.
• Field engineering, operation planning, cost control, project scheduling, quantity tracking, material procurement, contract administration, estimating & supervision of field activities
• Performing engineering tasks requiring standard techniques and handling minor problems of a technical nature arising during construction
• Maintaining records as required regarding job progress, costs, material usage, etc.
• Planning and scheduling of job and/or job segments
• Investigating problems and/or reported incidents; identifying and recommending solutions/alternatives as appropriate
• Reviewing plans and specifications to determine material requirements (quantities and qualities), pricing of materials, etc.
• Working with suppliers as required facilitating the handling and expediting delivery of materials
• Ability to travel or relocate as needed
• Ability to work full-time during the summer (approximately May-August)
• Currently pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in civil engineering, construction management or related
• Ability to freely access all points of a construction site in a wide-ranging climates and environments
• Highly motivated, with a demonstrated passion for excellence and taking initiative
• Strong work ethic, willing to do what it takes to get the job done right the first time
• Demonstrated commitment to ethics and integrity
• Passion for safety, with the ability to help us ensure that nobody gets hurt
• Strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
• Team player with the ability to work independently to meet deadlines, goals and objectives
• Strong organization, time management, and attention to detail
• Other common names for this role: Office Engineer Intern, Office Intern, Field Intern
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.