POSITIONS ARE AVAILABLE THROUGHOUT ILLINOIS.
EDUCATION REQUIREMENT ANNOUNCEMENT:
On August 16, 2019, Governor Pritzker signed HB124 amending the State Police Merit Board education requirement.
These changes are EFFECTIVE JANUARY 1, 2020. Please check back at a later date for more information.
The Illinois State Police Merit Board has set the following minimum requirements for persons applying for an Illinois State Trooper position:
- An applicant must be at least twenty-one (21) years of age. (An applicant twenty (20) years of age may apply if the Option 4 education requirement is successfully met.)
- An applicant cannot have been convicted of a felony.
- An applicant must be a citizen of the United States.
- An applicant must possess a valid driver’s license at the time of completing the application.
- An applicant must be willing to accept an assignment anywhere in the State.
- An applicant must have completed, with a C average or better, one of the following education requirements:
Education RequirementsOption 1A Bachelor’s Degree.Option 2An Associate of Arts or Science Degree or equivalent course work* AND meet one of the following two job experience requirements: 3 consecutive years of continuous, full time service, as a police officer, with the same police agency OR three consecutive years of active military duty.Option 3An Associate of Applied Science Degree, ONLY if the degree is in Law Enforcement/Criminal Justice AND meet one of the following two job experience requirements: 3 consecutive years of continuous, full time service, as a police officer, with the same police agency OR three consecutive years of active military duty.Option 4No education needed if:
- The applicant has been honorably discharged from the armed services of the United States after serving active military duty AND has been awarded at least one of the qualifying medals
- The applicant is an active member of the Illinois National Guard or a reserve component of the United States Armed Forces AND have been awarded at least one of the qualifying medals. Medals that qualify are as follows: Southwest Asia Service Medal, Kosovo Campaign Medal, Korean Defense Service Medal, Afghanistan Campaign Medal, Iraq Campaign Medal or Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal. Proof must be provided on a DD-214.
- Have been honorably discharged who served in a combat mission by proof of hostile fire pay or imminent danger pay during deployment on active duty.
- Have at least 3 years of full active and continuous military duty and received an honorable discharge before hiring.
* The equivalent coursework option must meet the following criteria:
- 9 semester hours in Communication studies
- 9 semester hours in Social Science studies
- 6 semester hours in Natural Science studies
- 3 semester hours in Math studies
- 9 semester hours in Humanities studies
- 24 semester hours in other electives
* The college or university must be accredited by one of the following:
- Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
- North Central Association of Colleges and Schools
- New England Association of Schools and Colleges
- Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges
- Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
- Western Association of Schools and College