Job Location: New York, NY
About Hunger Free America:
Hunger Free America (HFA) – founded in 1983 as the New York City Coalition Against Hunger – is a dynamic and highly effective national progressive anti-hunger advocacy and direct service organization that is headquartered in New York City but works in all 50 states. The organization is led by a high-profile media spokesperson.
The Nation has written that the organization has grown into “one of the leading direct service and advocacy organizations on hunger and poverty in the nation.”
HFA’s mission is to build a nonpartisan, grass-roots movement to enact the progressive public policies and programs needed to end domestic hunger and ensure that all Americans have sufficient access to nutritious food.
HFA’s long-term goal is not just to ameliorate the problem, but also to build the people’s movement necessary to enact the economic and public policies needed to end hunger entirely. Given that hunger drains our economy and tears at our moral and civic fabric, eliminating it will boost the nation both economically and spiritually. That’s why HFA adopted the motto: “Ending hunger lifts us all.”
Reporting to Hunger Free America’s CEO, the Director of Communications & Digital Outreach will have primary responsibility for all organizational communications including creating and managing website content, managing social media channels, conducting traditional news media outreach, and managing Hunger Free America’s email marketing program.
The Director of Communications & Digital Outreach will:
– Further develop Hunger Free America’s communications strategy including digital and social media as well as earned media.
– Create and edit digital content for Hunger Free America’s website and manage website content according to SEO best practices to maximize traffic to website.
– Manage HFA’s social media calendar; create and edit content for social media channels including Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, and Instagram.
– Track social media analytics and website traffic metrics to assess the type of content that resonates with our audiences and performs best.
– Conduct media outreach to local and national news media outlets to raise awareness about hunger and promote Hunger Free America’s research, programs, and advocacy initiatives. This includes writing press releases, creating media lists using Cision, pitching stories to reporters and producers, pitching the organizations CEO and other staff for media appearances, and organizing press conferences with partner organizations and elected officials.
– Work with the Development Director on HFA’s email marketing program for cultivation and fundraising purposes. This includes creating an email marketing calendar and writing email copy including a monthly e-newsletter.
– Manage the production of print materials including HFA’s annual report and mailings to donors; write copy for printed materials.
– Collaborate with other department directors to gather content for Hunger Free America’s communications materials; help support the departments’ communications needs.
– Carry out other duties, as assigned.
– Bachelor’s degree, preferably in English, communications, journalism, marketing, or political science.
– Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
– Excellent writing and editing skills.
– Highly skilled in communications strategy and content creation.
– Highly skilled in website management including SEO best practices.
– Highly skilled in social media marketing.
– Experience with news media outreach, pitching stories to editors and reporters, and organizing press conferences.
– Experience with graphic design, still photography, videography, and/or video editing a plus.
– Experience with Facebook advertising and/or Google Ads a plus.
– Strong organizational skills with proven ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
– Experience meeting tight deadlines.
– Experience managing a small team.
– Passion for social justice issues, particularly hunger.
Salary & Benefits:
– This is a full-time exempt 35-hour per week position, with some in-person work required in our HQ in New York City.
– Starting salary will likely be $65,000 annually, but potentially slightly higher for someone with very substantial experience.
– Hunger Free America offers significant benefits to full-time employees, including a strong health insurance plan which includes fully paid employee premiums and a health reimbursement account.
– Employees also receive generous vacation, holiday, and sick time.
How to Apply:
– To apply, please send a cover letter explaining your qualifications for this specific position and resume to email@example.com. Please include “Communications Director Job Application” in the subject line.
– Hunger Free America is an equal opportunity employer. People of diverse races, sexual orientations, ages, faiths, economic and social backgrounds, genders, physical abilities, and national origins are very strongly encouraged to apply.
– The position is open until filled.