The Nevada Automotive Test Center (NATC) is currently seeking talented candidates for an Engineering Cooperative Test Technician (Co-Op) role at our Silver Springs, NV location. At NATC, our Co-Ops work directly with a team of engineers intent on designing, manufacturing, and testing of innovative automotive mobility solutions, gaining irreplaceable hands-on technical experience combining lessons learned in the classroom with real world problems to form viable solutions. NATC Co-Ops have gone on to work on the leading edge of technology for submarines, racecars, and military/commercial vehicles around the word, including staying on as full-time engineers at NATC once graduating.
It is the purpose of the Nevada Automotive Test Center (NATC) to pioneer value-added technical solutions with knowledge, excellence and integrity for our worldwide transportation partners, through personal commitment.
It is the responsibility of all NATC employees to follow adopted safety policies and procedures and to take part in protecting themselves, their coworkers and the organization.
NATC’s location in the great basin of Nevada allows our engineers to access terrain that can represent 85% of the world within a 150 mile radius, providing an excellent test bed for off-road mobility. NATC’s operational area includes 1200 sq. miles of natural terrain, that when coupled with 6,200 acres of privately owned test courses, create an unparalleled testing area available to our engineers to innovate and solve our customers problems. From motorcycles to M1 tanks to weapons systems to electrified autonomous vehicles, NATC has completed thousands of test programs as a one-stop shop for automotive development.
The NATC engineering group is specifically tasked with performance and durability testing for ultra-light to heavy vehicle platforms, and on occasion also supports vehicle development projects for designing and building technology demonstrators aimed at meeting customer provided requirements. In support of the engineering group, the selected candidate’s objective for this position is to assist in creating innovative solutions intended to improve the efficiency and overall technical capability at NATC for completing projects successfully. In addition, the selected candidate will support vehicle testing and ongoing projects as required by the current NATC workload. The Co-Op reports to the supervising Test Engineer I/II (TE1/TE2), but does not assume duties of the TE1/TE2 in their absence.
1. Assist in the completion of up to three (3) overhead projects intended to improve the quality control/quality assurance of a completed test. Project tasks include compiling a project schedule, problem definition, engineering approach, and supporting design reviews throughout the engineering process for completing the project. Possible projects include but are not limited to the following:
i) Improve NATC tow-dynamometer capabilities through the use of onsite equipment in order to successfully complete cooling and tractive effort evaluations on a wide range of vehicles. Function includes researching testing capabilities of equipment, drafting analysis tools supporting the test equipment, and conducting trials of improved quality control/quality assurance operating procedures for the equipment.
ii) Establish data processing techniques for measuring accurate roll and yaw angle in order to produce roll-gradient plots using NATC instrumentation assets.
iii) Improve NATC’s weather station to provide accurate live-data readouts for wind velocity meeting applicable testing standards.
iv) Work to update NATC test course database. This will include but is not limited to course photos, descriptions, physical measurements, GPS “start” and “end” points, and terrain classification.
v) Conduct research for commercial vehicle usage ranging from small passenger car to class 8 trucks. Data researched will be sales by region, cost, fuel types, recalls, and user types.
vi) Environmental chamber characterization and optimization. This will include developing temperature and humidity profiles of various chambers and implementing processes and documentation on salt solutions for corrosion testing etc.
2. Supports in-field vehicle tests by photographing, videotaping, or driving test or support vehicles as needed.
3. Assists engineering and technician personnel in preparing test vehicles, instrumentation, and equipment for test conduct.
4. Inputs, organizes, and interprets data using NATC analysis techniques.
5. Manages the data from the various instrumentation data acquisition systems, records project information
6. Enters project instrumentation run history and logs for the acquisition data into a database that allows searching for data recall.
7. Assists in drafting of final reports.
8. Conducts research related to technical standards, test specifications, automotive suppliers, component sources, etc.
9. Assists with hardware design, fabrication, and installation on vehicles. This may include CAD drawing preparation, light machine work, and/or mechanical work.
10. Other duties as assigned
1. Must be currently enrolled or have recently graduated from an accredited four-year university or college.
2. Must be (at least) within two (2) years of post-graduation towards a Bachelor’s of Science (B.S) Degree in Engineering.
3. Must be able to work full time for a minimum of 12 consecutive weeks. Must have a minimum cumulative 3.0 GPA
4. Must have a current and valid Driver’s License to operate a class C vehicle.
5. Must be proficient in Microsoft Excel and Matlab
6. Must be able to work in excess of 40 hours per week with varied work shifts.
7. Must be able to sit or stand for extended period of time, lifting and carrying weight such as materials or equipment up to 30 lbs.
8. Must have a hands-on mechanical background related to automotive systems, operation, troubleshooting, and repair.
9. Must be able to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
10. Must be self-motivated and able to work for short to moderate periods of time without direct supervision.
1. Professional and personable and able to relate well with employees at all levels.
2. Excellent organization and time management skills.
3. Able to handle multiple priorities, with the ability to adjust to high pressure and rapidly changing business conditions.
4. Experience with data analysis tools.
5. Familiarity with basic shop tools and/or machine equipment.
6. Understanding of basic electrical circuits and electronic concepts.
7. Exhibits good documentation and technical writing skills.
Nevada Automotive Test Center (NATC) values a diverse workforce and as an Equal Opportunity Employer, NATC does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other status legally protected by Federal, State, or Local law. NATC assures you that your opportunity with this Company depends solely on your qualifications and other job-related factors
This position is not limited to those duties in the job description. Duties and responsibilities can be changed, expanded, reduced, or deleted to meet the business needs of Hodges Transportation, Inc./NATC. The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Notify the Human Resources manager if you require any accommodation (s) to perform any of the essential functions of this position.
All employees of this Company are employees at will and, as such, are free to resign at any time without reason. The Company, likewise, retains the right to terminate an employee’s employment at any time with or without reason or notice. Nothing contained in this document or any other document provided to the employee is intended to be, nor should it be, construed as a guarantee that employment or any benefit will be continued for any period of time. Any salary figures provided to an employee in annual or monthly terms are stated for the sake of convenience or to facilitate comparisons and are not intended and do not create an employment contract for any specific period of time.