This position provides direct mental health therapy and case management services to adults experiencing homelessness with various disabling conditions and psychosocial stressors who are living independently in the community. The overall purpose of this role is to assist these individuals in obtaining or maintaining their housing placements as well as achieving other goals set forth by the individual.
Key Role Responsibilities
• Demonstrates positive regard and respect for clients through speech and actions. Utilizes a client-centered, non-judgmental, trauma informed approach.
• Provides behavioral health assessments and diagnosis, individual and group therapy, and intensive case management services to support the client’s overall health and housing stability.
• Performs home visits, community visits and escorts independently and in accordance with the client’s plan of care.
• Collaborates with other providers in an integrated, interdisciplinary care team. Coordinates care with other providers across the agency and with external agencies, attending interdisciplinary meetings and engaging in problem solving.
• Collaborates with the client in the development and implementation of an integrated treatment plan using SMART goals.
• Acts as a liaison between clients and landlords/property managers.
• Ensures that relevant authorizations are completed according to established guidelines in order to facilitate billing for therapy services.
• Completes documentation within the client’s electronic health record in a manner that is easy to understand and in accordance with established formats and required timeframes.
• Provides representative payee services to select clients, including assisting with creating a monthly budget, ensuring monthly expenses are paid, distributing funds for individual use, and providing financial literacy education
Key Agency Responsibilities
In addition to role responsibilities, each staff member of Health Care for the Homeless has the following responsibilities as a part of their employment:
• Models and reinforces the Health Care for the Homeless “core values” of dignity, authenticity, hope, justice, passion and balance
• Actively participates in performance improvement activities and actively participates in advocacy activities that support the mission of Health Care for the Homeless
• Performs other duties on an as-needed basis
• Protects our client’s personal health information by maintaining compliance with HIPAA and other relevant Health Care related IT security regulations
Knowledge, Experience, and Skills
Formal Education and Training
• Master’s Degree from an approved School of Social Work
• Current license as an LMSW or LCSW-C
• Personal vehicle and valid Maryland driver’s license required
• One year experience providing therapy to individuals with substance use and mental health disorders preferred
• One year experience providing case management services to individuals with substance use and mental health disorders preferred
• Knowledge of assessment and treatment planning
• Willingness to integrate principles into practice such as Harm Reduction, Motivational Interviewing and Housing First
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Strong organizational and time management skills
• Able to cope with interruptions and be a team player
• Flexible approach, working with several cross-disciplinary teams in a collaborative style
• Approaches change with a positive, open-minded attitude
• Able to work with clients who have significant mental health challenges, manage crisis situations and assess for safety
• Able to work with ill, disabled, emotionally upset, and sometimes hostile clients
Department: Housing Services
Reports To: Lead Therapist Case Manager
Job Family: Behavioral Health Providers
FLSA Status: Exempt