HASA is a health, impactful, and relevant nonprofit organization that focuses on education, hearing health, inclusion, language access, and speech & language. Our programs connect people to their worlds and aid individuals in their ability to understand and to be understood. All HASA programs focus on prevention, intervention, treatment, or advocacy.
Gateway School, a program of HASA, is a non-public school for students ages 2 – 15 with autism, developmental disabilities, and communication disorders. The Special Educator will create and maintain a superior academic environment by developing and implementing a classroom structure consistent with the needs of each student and the classroom in its entirety. Some responsibilities include developing and implementing lesson plans, meet and instruct classes, write and implement IEPs, initiate student evaluations and document progress, create an instructional environment for appropriate development of students, and collaborate effectively with related-services staff to address the students’ needs. The position requires:
- Bachelor’s degree in Special Education, General Education, or related field; Master’s degree preferred.
- Maryland Certified Special Education Teacher or eligibility for MSDE certification in Special Education (Grade Band 1-8)
- Experience working with children with disabilities, preferably with autism, developmental and intellectual disabilities, and communication disorders.
- Ability to provide good verbal, speech, and language models.
- Experience with applied behavior analytics.
- Evidence of ability to work effectively with people, parents, staff, related service providers, and various community and professional groups.
- Computer literacy; experience with Google Suite and Microsoft Office.