Grow as a developer by building tools that grow local businesses. You became an engineer because you believed in technology’s ability to make a difference in the world. So why would you spend your days building things that don’t matter?
Groupon is an experiences marketplace that brings people more ways to get the most out of their city or wherever they may be. By enabling real-time mobile commerce across local businesses, live events and travel destinations, Groupon helps people find and discover experiences––big and small, new and familiar––that make for a full, fun and rewarding life. Groupon helps local businesses grow and strengthen customer relationships––resulting in strong, vibrant communities. Even with thousands of employees spread across multiple continents, we still maintain a culture that inspires innovation, rewards risk-taking and celebrates success.
At Groupon, we spend our days developing the platform that helps small businesses thrive in their local communities.
We might look like an ordinary e-commerce app, but under the surface we’re a cutting-edge technology company building products that positively impact the lives of millions of people and merchants who use them every single day. We have big goals to get to, and need someone to help us get there. If you want to take more ownership of your roadmap and career, you’re ready to be part of Groupon.
As a Software Engineer on our Engineering team, you will grow your career by working for an international, multicultural company with thousands of employees that runs on a SOA with 300 microservices and millions of concurrent clients. You should be obsessed with the quality of code and test coverage, as those things are critical to the success of our system.
We’re a “best of both worlds” kind of company. We’re big enough to have resources and scale, but small enough that a single person has a surprising amount of autonomy and can make a meaningful impact. We’re curious, fun, a little intense, and kind of obsessed with helping local businesses thrive. Does that sound like a compelling place to work?
You’ll spend time on the following:
- You will take ownership of the technical aspects of our global technology infrastructure, ensuring that the platform is being used to its fullest potential through designing and building applications around our customer’s needs
- You will review and monitor current engineering work, as well as previously constructed applications, to ensure the software is running as smoothly as possible
- Work directly with our internal product teams to ensure that our technology infrastructure is seamlessly and effectively integrated with our third-party software, conceive and build the necessary applications to make this happen
We’re excited about you if you have:
- BS degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or a related field
- Solid foundational Computer Science knowledge (e.g. data structures, algorithms, testing practices)
- Must demonstrate strong coding ability
- Previous experience working in collaborative technical teams (e.g. class projects, hackathons, previous work experience, open source projects)
- Ability to apply creative problem solving skills
- You have a strong desire to learn and grow
We value engineers who are:
- Customer-focused: We believe that doing what’s right for the customer is ultimately what will drive our business forward.
- Obsessed with Quality: Your Production code Just Works & scales linearly
- Team players. You believe that more can be achieved together. You listen to feedback and also provide supportive feedback to help others grow/improve.
- Fast learners: We are willing to disrupt our existing business to trial new products and solutions. You love learning how to use new technologies and then rapidly apply them to new problems.
- Pragmatic: We do things quickly to learn what our customers desire. You know when it’s appropriate to take shortcuts that don’t sacrifice quality or maintainability.
- Owners: Engineers at Groupon know how to positively impact the business.