There’s never been a more exciting time to work for General Motors.
To achieve our vision of a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion, we need people to join us who are passionate about creating safer, better and more sustainable ways for people to get around. This bold vision won’t happen overnight, but just as we transformed how the world moved in the last century, we are committed to transforming how we move today and in the future.
Why Work for Us
Our culture is focused on building inclusive teams, where differences and unique perspectives are embraced so you can contribute to your fullest potential as you pursue your career. Our locations feature a variety of work environments, including open work spaces and virtual connection platforms to inspire productivity and flexible collaboration. And we are proud to support our employees volunteer interests, and make it a priority to join together in efforts that give back to our communities.
At General Motors we pride ourselves on designing, building and selling the world’s best vehicles. We are seeking a new generation of visionaries to help launch bold engineering and business initiatives, and shape new directions for General Motors. As an intern or co-op student through our EXCEL (Exploring Careers through Experiential Learning) Program you will gain hands-on career specific experiences to maximize your real world potential.
Manufacturing Tool and Die Group Leader Intern
Our plants are the groundwork for GM and a hotbed of innovation. We need Tool and Die Group Leader interns to assist maintenance personnel in operation and maintenance of specialist equipment. These tasks would teach you root causing analysis and problem solving as well as leadership skills to provide technical support and direction to support personnel/skilled trades within the organization. Quality and safety are very meaningful to us, so enforcing and maintaining safe work practices is a high initiative and priority. A fast-paced work environment is the name of the game so responding to production calls and getting the right resources to ensure the production line is running is crucial.
- Support department Business Plan Deployment
- Interact with a medium to large group of UAW hourly employees
- Ensure team focused on problem solving as related to downtime losses
- Support preventative maintenance on new and existing tooling
- Implement best practices, lessons learned and support manufacturing innovations
- Aids in analyzing and solving complex manufacturing problems
- Assists in obtaining resources to effectively maintain and perform operations
- Stays ahead of current product, procedure and technical developments and trends in areas of manufacturing expertise (Stamping)
- Support project activity as required
- Develop and lead a process/quality related throughput initiative
Additional opportunities may be available in the following States in various cities:
Additional Job Description
- Currently pursuing a technical degree or technical certificate (tool and die focus preferred)
- Must have a minimum of a 3.0 cumulative GPA on a 4.0 scale
- Able to work fulltime, 40 hours per week and willing to work overtime
- Effectively connect with cross shifts
- Supporting production line
- Interfacing with hourly workforce
- Willingness to work in a plant environment
- Demonstrated leadership in field of study, extracurricular activities or service organizations
- Able to work independently and with a team
- Outstanding interpersonal and relationship management skills with the ability to effectively collaborate with varying levels of the organization as needed
- Oral and written communication skills with the ability to distill complex subjects to a wider audience
- Emerging partnership and teamwork skills and ability to learn from and share knowledge with co-workers in a fast-paced environment
- High level of integrity, ability to deal with ambiguity, takes initiative/self-directed
- Evidence of strong character with integrity, honesty, accountability and trust
Student Housing is available to candidates who meet eligibility requirements.
PLEASE ONLY APPLY IF YOU DO NOT NEED SPONSORSHIP TO WORK IN THE UNITED STATES NOW OR IN THE FUTURE. WE ARE UNABLE TO CONSIDER CANDIDATES WHO REQUIRE SPONSORSHIP.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.