There’s never been a more exciting time to work for General Motors.
To achieve our vision of a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion, we need people to join us who are passionate about creating safer, better and more sustainable ways for people to get around. This bold vision won’t happen overnight, but just as we transformed how the world moved in the last century, we are committed to transforming how we move today and in the future.
Why Work for Us
Our culture is focused on building inclusive teams, where differences and unique perspectives are embraced so you can contribute to your fullest potential as you pursue your career. Our locations feature a variety of work environments, including open work spaces and virtual connection platforms to inspire productivity and flexible collaboration. And we are proud to support our employees volunteer interests, and make it a priority to join together in efforts that give back to our communities.
We have a strong need for interns who are interested in Cyber-Physical Systems Engineering. This internship will help design, develop and test software codes, algorithms, embedded systems and architect software to optimize controller resources and throughput. These codes will run throughout almost every aspect of the vehicle controllers, so you will be able to do hands on work that can directly affect the vehicle. Your work could be driving around on the roads! All of this work will be done on multiple levels so you will have a chance to develop interpersonal and relationship management skills with the ability to effectively collaborate with varying levels of the organization.
- Convert/interpret algorithms and other required documents into software code
- Accountable to develop software that runs within GM’s embedded controllers using the GM software tool chain
- Design, develop and test feature behavior and interaction between controls hardware and controls software
- Develop test cases aligned with requirements using manual and automated test environments in the local PC, Hardware-In-the-Loop (HIL) bench, and system level bench environments
- Compile software into executable files and to test/evaluate executable files
- Data analysis and research to assess vehicle feature feasibility
Additional Job DescriptionQualifications:
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor’s Degree in the following fields of study: Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Computer Science, Controls Engineering, Controls Systems Engineering, or Mechatronics
- ABET accredited program Preferred
- Must have a minimum of a 3.0 cumulative GPA on a 4.0 scale
- Must be a sophomore standing or higher
- Demonstrated coding efficiency, speed & quality
- Efficient use of MATLAB/Simulink
- Able to work fulltime, 40 hours per week
- Engineering degree with focus on Robotics, Data Analytics, Machine Learning, Sensing, Automation, or Computation
- Demonstrated algorithm generation and connection to the physical requirements
- Software Programs: CAN messaging, GIT change management tool, Rhapsody, DOORS Requirements management software
- Experience with programming languages Ex: Python, C++, Java, etc.
- Demonstrated knowledge and application of Software and/or Controls Engineering Principles
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to distill sophisticated subjects to a wider audience
- Emerging partnership and teamwork skills and ability to learn from and share knowledge with co-workers in a rapidly moving environment
- High level of integrity, ability to deal with ambiguity, takes initiative/self-directed
- Evidence of strong character with integrity, honesty, accountability and trust
- Deliver new and creative solutions to complex problems
Housing assistance is available to candidates who meet eligibility requirements.
PLEASE ONLY APPLY IF YOU DO NOT NEED SPONSORSHIP TO WORK IN THE UNITED STATES NOW OR IN THE FUTURE. WE ARE UNABLE TO CONSIDER CANDIDATES WHO REQUIRE SPONSORSHIP.
Apply online at: https://search-careers.gm.com/job/GENEA0084JR000005397ENUS/Controls-and-Software-Engineer-Intern-Global-Product-Group
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.