The Nurse Extern Program is an educational and clinical work experience for nursing students who are enrolled in nursing studies. Assists in patient care and reports the physical, psychological, and emotional conditions of the patient. Provides care for patients in the specific age range on their assigned nursing unit. Does not perform any procedures that require state licensing.Job Duties:
- Assists in patient care under the immediate supervision of a registered nurse preceptor and as assigned by the nurse in charge.
- Functions as a member of the nursing team.
- Identifies, observes, reports, and documents the social and psychological needs of the patient and family.
- Identifies, observes, and documents the physical needs of the patient according to standard.
- Reports changes in patient condition to the registered nurse.
- Obtains and maintains the integrity of specimens in accordance with policy and procedure, according to physician order.
- Monitors blood glucose, urine and stool, and sputum.
- Assists patient with ADL’s.
- Assists with patient transfer and transport, as needed.
- Participates in three expanded observational experiences in the ten-week period.
- Participates actively in patient safety improvement and management program.
- Assumes responsibility for identifying processes or systems that could potentially lead to errors and adverse events.
- Participates in required organizational and departmental patient safety education programs and other activities designed to improve departmental and organizational patient safety.
- Reports promptly serious events and incidents in accordance with established hospital policy and procedure.
- Staff have access to non-controlled medications storage and supply areas and can transport non-controlled medications as necessary to meet the needs of the clinic and unit.
Work is typically performed in a clinical environment. Accountable for satisfying all job specific obligations and complying with all organization policies and procedures. The specific statements in this profile are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements considered necessary to successfully perform the job. Additional competencies and skills outlined in any department-specific orientation will be considered essential to the performance of the job related to that position.