NOTE: CAIR-Chicago internships and externships for Winter-Spring 2022 will be held remotely pending the latest COVID-19 pandemic statutes from local and/or state government authorities.
Check with your school’s Internship Coordinator BEFORE accepting the hiring offer to determine if this position satisfies the criteria for receiving academic credit. Be sure to know the process for approving the internship from start to finish, which may include (but is not limited to) qualifications, documents for you and CAIR-Chicago to complete and sign, assignments, deadlines, and requirements to remain in good standing and achieve a passing grade and/or receive academic credit (e.g., identify and meet goals).
Our Communications Department is the face and voice of the CAIR-Chicago office, connecting the work done in the office to the greater local, national, and international community. This department holds press conferences; issues press releases and newsletters to thousands of media outlets and local leaders; maintains CAIR-Chicago’s website; updates, grows, and organizes initiatives across social media accounts including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat; creates official documentaries and publications; contributes journalistic articles regularly; and produces video content for cases and news stories.
Interns work closely with Communications Coordinators in creating content and executing media strategies for CAIR-Chicago. Positions are open to undergraduates and graduates as well as those who possess relevant skills and maintain high levels of self-motivation.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following four main categories (other duties may be assigned):
- Writing original articles covering local, national, and international breaking news, protests, and issues that are relevant to human rights, civil liberties, social justice and activism, Islamophobia, the Middle East, domestic politics, hyper-policing and surveillance, religion, and other relevant issues.
2. Social Media Marketing + Growth
- Creating and implementing a social media strategy for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat
- Creating and managing websites for various organizational projects (e.g., anti-hate campaigns, educational initiatives, blogs, etc.)
- Developing long-term research projects assisting with the development of qualitative and quantitative reports and analyses of the mainstream news media coverage and popular culture representations of Islam and Muslims
3. Videography + Photography
- Creating and editing regular video stories and photography projects for website, media, and social media
- Documenting CAIR-Chicago’s activities, events, and relevant organizational processes through photography and videography
4. Graphic Design
- Designing flyers and other relevant graphics for newsletters, articles, memes, social media, and website use
- Photography, videography, and/or graphic design experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Understanding of the principles of journalism and research
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team and under strict time constraints
- Self-motivated and detail-oriented
- Experience with web design and relevant skills (WordPress, HTML, CSS, etc.) is strongly preferred
- Experience with graphic design and relevant software (Illustrator, Photoshop, etc) is strongly preferred
- Experience with photography and experience using DSLR cameras and relevant software (Photoshop, etc) is strongly preferred
- Experience with audio and video production and relevant software (Final Cut Pro, After Effects, Adobe Premiere, etc.) is strongly preferred
To apply, review the application guidelines on the CAIR-Chicago Intern Center page by clicking on the green Apply Externally button. Send a completed application form, cover letter, resume, writing sample(s), and portfolio with a minimum of three (3) works illustrating previous photography, videography, and/or graphic design skills to Saadia Pervaiz at email@example.com.
Check with your internship coordinator BEFORE accepting to determine how you can apply this internship for academic credit.