The City of Delray Beach does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age or disability, marital status, family status or sexual orientation in employment or the provision of services
The City of Delray Beach is a Non-Tobacco Workplace. The City will not consider applicants who have used tobacco or nicotine products for a period of at least three months prior to application for employment. The definition of “tobacco or nicotine products” includes but is not limited to, cigarettes, cigars, chewing tobacco, pipes, snuff, e-cigarettes and nicotine patches or gum.
This is an administrative position responsible for assisting the Police Department with its unique and extensive service population, such as the City’s recovery community, homeless residents, and individuals with behavioral health issues.
Essential Job Duties
The following duties are normal for this position. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this classification. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Assist Service Population Advocate (SPA) with advocacy efforts and initiatives on behalf of the City’s recovery community, homeless residents, and individuals with behavioral health issues.
- Assist with crisis intervention as needed.
- Assist with case management as needed
- Assist SPA with all related administrative functions, including referrals, documentation, phone calls, scheduling appointments, meetings, and outreach.
- Work with partner organizations to help ensure resource objectives.
- Must be currently enrolled in an accredited undergraduate or graduate school program with major course work in social work, counseling or related field.
- Strong organizational, oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of and proficiency in the use of computers and Microsoft operating systems. Possession of a valid State of Florida Class “E” driver’s license with no more than six (6) points in a three (3) year period.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
General knowledge of the issues pertaining to the homeless, behavior health, substance abuse and the recovery community. The ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing, maintain good working relationships, exercise initiative and sound judgment. Experience with dual diagnosis and knowledge of case management preferred. General knowledge of Marchman Act, Baker Act, and knowledge of HIPPA required.
Must be able to work a minimum of 12 hours per week, not to exceed a maximum of 29 hours per week. Hours are flexible and will be scheduled within a Monday through Friday, 8 am to 5 pm schedule.
Candidates selected for an Internship will be expected to comply with all City and Department rules and regulations. In addition, candidates will be expected to wear appropriate attire during working hours in accordance with the City of Delray Beach policy, conduct themselves in a professional manner, maintain the confidentiality of any information obtained through the Internship Program.
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The work environment characteristics described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear, use hands to finger, handle, feel, or operate objects, tools, or controls, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to walk, bend and stand. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus. Works inside in an office environment and outside in various weather conditions.
SELECTION GUIDELINES: Formal application, rating of education and experience; oral interview and reference check; job related tests might be required. This position will also require criminal background screening, and Motor Vehicle Report check.