- Build upon the knowledge of your major and create fun and impactful content for your portfolio and resume.
- Improve self confidence and initiative by working with a diverse, multicultural staff.
- Develop your multimedia skills across platforms including photography, film, podcasts, web development, social media and graphic design.
- Strengthen leadership, teamwork and communication skills while experiencing the importance and impact of being a positive role model to hundreds of children.
- Take advantage of networking and mentoring opportunities from our Leadership Team, Alumni and Parent Network.
As a “Media Intern”, you will have a hands on experience by being an official member of our Media Team. The Media Team at Camp Towanda plays a vital role in preserving the history of our camp, which is celebrating 98 years! The Media Team is lead by our Media Director who has been with us for over a decade. This is a creative experience and as a team, you are essentially the entire production crew from writer to editor. Your responsibilities include taking videos of all the non-stop action at Camp and compiling it into our weekly highlight video called Friday Nite Flix. You can see some FNF of years past here. You will also take hundreds of photos a day and upload them for the campers’ parents to see.
As you can see from some of the past FNF’s, throughout the week footage is constantly collected, captured and organized to create montages which are put to popular upbeat music. Humorous skits are also created with the input of campers. As many campers as possible are included in each episode of FNF. The final piece is projected onto a big screen in our outdoor amphitheater. It is very important that FNF be an enjoyable experience for all campers. Humor MUST be appropriate for viewers ranging in age from 6-60 years old..aka ”Camp Appropriate Humor”. At the end of the season footage from Friday Nite Flix is used to create an extended highlights video which is sent to each camper and used for promotional material.
We are Mac based and use Final Cut Pro, Adobe After Effects, Flash and Quicktime and simple Sony handy cams. Having experience with these applications is a must.
Each member of the media crew is also a bunk counselor. Working at camp simply as a counselor, in-and-of-itself, gives you hands-on experience and leadership opportunities, while building skills that hiring managers are looking for, such as flexibility, adaptability, initiative, self-direction, social and cross-cultural skills, productivity, accountability, leadership and responsibility. When not at assigned to be in the media room or out taking photos and video, you will be with your assigned group as a counselor, ensuring safety and camaraderie. As a counselor, you will be directly responsible for the welfare and whereabouts of your campers. You will be under the guidance of your Group Leader.
- Available mid-June thru mid-August.
- Candidates are required to complete at least one year of college
- Digital Photography Experience
- Digital Video Experience
- Familiar with Final Cut Pro, Adobe After Effects, Flash and QuickTime
- Qualified references
- Great with children
- Strong work ethic
Benefits of Interning at Camp Towanda:
- Individually tailored experience to meet your goals, working with school advisors so that you get the most out of your internship.
- Hands on program, working directly in your discipline.
- Real world work experience in the outdoors vs. an office or corporate setting, getting coffee or pushing papers.
- Access to a talented media team and high tech resources for your resume/portfolio.
- Receive routine feedback and supervision by a professional with expertise and educational/professional background in your associated field.
- Satisfy school internship requirements and earn credits if needed.
- Hours/week: Working at camp is not your typical job/internship. You are living and working at the same place in an immersive community lifestyle for 8 weeks.
- Work with a diverse team from around the world, impacting and inspiring today’s youth.
- Work on the set of the movie “Wet Hot American Summer”. Yup, it was filmed here!
- Join a vast network of Staff, Alumni and Parents that can connect you with future endeavors.
- THIS IS A PAID INTERNSHIP. Pay scale depends on experience and qualifications. Plus, housing, meals, laundry service and travel reimbursement are provided!
CAMP AND COVID
In May of 2020 we made the tough decision to close our business for the season. You can view our closing message here. Looking ahead to 2021, we are confident that we will be prepared and ready for the challenges. We are working closely with our Medical Team to safely make this summer the best one yet! Now more than ever, the importance of Camp is evident; the fresh air, connecting with nature, impacting our youth and fostering a healthy, nurturing environment for the next generation to grow.
The next step is to fill out our online application. We will then connect to set up a video interview over Skype, Facetime or Zoom. Our internships are integrated with our hired camp counselor positions; there is one application. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us. 570-253-3266 or firstname.lastname@example.org