Do you want to spend your summer job working outdoors? Is making a difference in the lives of children important to you? Do you want to meet people from all over the world? Do you want to build your resume while having an amazing time?
Join our camp family this summer for a challenging and rewarding experience that will help you develop crucial skills you need for your future. Make a difference in the lives of our campers, while enjoying our beautiful outdoor facilities and working with a diverse team. Over the years, we have had many interns and staff members express how impactful this experience has been on them.
- Build upon the knowledge of your sport and strengthen your coaching skills while applying classroom learning, theories, and experiences to a real world setting.
- Improve self confidence and initiative by working with a diverse, multicultural staff.
- Manage multiple teams and coordinate games, scrimmages and tournaments
- Understand logistics in tournament play, transportation, programming and coordination within the organization and working with other camps.
- Strengthen leadership, teamwork and communication skills while experiencing the importance and impact of being a positive role model to hundreds of children.
- Take advantage of networking and mentoring opportunities from our Leadership Team, Alumni and Parent Network.
As a Sports Management Intern, you will be considered an Activity Specialist in your associated sport or discipline. You will be assigned a mentor, working closely with our Athletic, Program and Tournament Directors on tournament scheduling, coaching strategies, and managing equipment inventory, etc. You will also coach teams of your own and work directly with many department heads in all land and water sports. Interns in the past have kept journals, written essays or made a video documentary about their experience to show future employers (we also have a media staff that can help you create the perfect content for your resume!).
We are looking for experienced, enthusiastic and diligent instructors for many of our activity areas. If you play the sport in school, this is a great way to stay engaged and share your passion with younger generations. Great for those looking to be teachers or coaches in the future.
Some of the sports we offer:
- Field Hockey
- Flag Football
- Martial Arts
- Roller / Street Hockey
- Swimming / Lifeguarding
- Track & Field
- And MORE…for a full list check out our website!
Your primary role will be working with the campers as a counselor, living in a cabin with campers and other co-counselors. Working at camp simply as a counselor, in-and-of-itself, provides hands-on experience and leadership opportunities, while building skills that hiring managers are looking for, such as flexibility, adaptability, initiative, self-direction, social and cross-cultural skills, productivity, accountability, leadership and responsibility.
Athletic Specialists help teach groups of 20-40 campers at a time (boys and girls, ages 7-17) in their area of expertise. They are responsible for instructing different levels and abilities, from beginners to master classes with our more skilled campers, working with Department Heads and Program directors to execute lesson plans. Our Athletic Specialists are responsible for coaching intra-camp games and inter-camp leagues, including county-wide tournaments with other camps. This is a great opportunity for developing professionals to get hands-on coaching and teaching experience with a wide variety of ages and abilities.
There are typically six, 50 minute long activity periods per day; you will be directly involved with the curriculum planning, participant engagement and execution of a successful program related to your sport with various age groups (boys and girls). When you are not at your specialty, you will be with your assigned group as a counselor, ensuring safety, team-building, growth and development in all activities and life at camp. You can read more about camp life in our company profile page.
Benefits of Interning at Camp Towanda:
- Individually tailored experience to meet your goals, working with school advisors so that you get the most out of your internship.
- Hands on program, working directly in your discipline.
- Real world work experience in the outdoors vs. an office or corporate setting, getting coffee or pushing papers.
- Satisfy school internship requirements and earn credits if needed.
- Receive routine feedback and supervision by a professional with expertise and educational/professional background in your associated field.
- Hours/week: Working at camp is not your typical job/internship. You are living and working at the same place in an immersive community lifestyle for 8 weeks.
- Work with a diverse team from around the world, impacting and inspiring today’s youth.
- Work on the set of the movie “Wet Hot American Summer”. Yup, it was filmed here!
- Join a vast network of Staff, Alumni and Parents that can connect you with future endeavors.
- THIS IS A PAID INTERNSHIP. Pay scale depends on experience and qualifications. Plus, housing, meals, laundry service and travel reimbursement are provided!
CAMP AND COVID
In May of 2020 we made the tough decision to close our business for the season. You can view our closing message here. Looking ahead to 2021, we are confident that we will be prepared and ready for the challenges. We are excited to work closely with our Medical Team to safely make this summer the best one yet! Now more than ever, the importance of Camp is evident; the fresh air, connecting with nature, impacting our youth and fostering a healthy, nurturing environment for the next generation to grow.
The next step is to fill out our online application. We will then connect to set up a video interview over Skype, Facetime or Zoom. Our internships are integrated with our hired camp counselor positions; there is one application. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us. 570-253-3266 or firstname.lastname@example.org