- Gain experience working in the wilderness, leading activities such as archery, ropes courses, mountain biking, animal husbandry, camping and kayaking.
- Improve self confidence and initiative by working with a diverse, multicultural staff.
- Strengthen safety/first-aid, leadership, teamwork and communication skills while experiencing the importance and impact of being a positive role model to hundreds of children.
- Take advantage of networking and mentoring opportunities from our Leadership Team, Alumni and Parent Network.
The Outdoor Adventure program at Camp Towanda is one of the most popular places on camp, where campers are challenged to get out of their comfort zone, work as a team and take healthy risks, with the support of their camp family. Outdoor Adventure Instructors are expected to set the bar for our entire staff, with their enthusiastic attitude, supportive nature and commitment to safety.
This program consists of our high and low ropes and zip line, climbing wall and challenge course, mountain biking, treehouse obstacle course, archery, river excursions, camp crafts and overnights! We also have an animal farm with chickens, bunnies, goats and more!
Although you are hired based on your experience, we conduct onsite training before and during the summer. As an “O&A” specialist, you will work with the Director to implement lesson plans, team building, encourage campers to get out of their comfort zone, have fun and work together! Our O&A program is one of the safest places on camp, thanks to the vigilance and pride our staff take in monitoring all activities near and on our courses.
There are typically six, 50 minute long activity periods per day and you will be directly involved with the curriculum planning, participant engagement and execution of a successful program. You will work directly under our Outdoor Adventure Department head alongside a team of O&A specialists from around the world. You will be involved with the maintenance and storage of all related equipment and facilities, facilitate group/team building activities, and uphold all safety precautions and procedures. When not at your specialty, you will be with your assigned group as a counselor, ensuring safety and camaraderie.
Benefits of Interning at Camp Towanda:
- Individually tailored experience to meet your goals, working with school advisors so that you get the most out of your internship.
- Hands on program, working directly in your discipline.
- Real world work experience in the outdoors vs. an office or corporate setting, getting coffee or pushing papers.
- Receive routine feedback and supervision by a professional with expertise and educational/professional background in your associated field.
- Satisfy school internship requirements and earn credits if needed.
- Hours/week: Working at camp is not your typical job/internship. You are living and working at the same place in an immersive community lifestyle for 8 weeks.
- Work with a diverse team from around the world, impacting and inspiring today’s youth.
- Work on the set of the movie “Wet Hot American Summer”. Yup, it was filmed here!
- Join a vast network of Staff, Alumni and Parents that can connect you with future endeavors.
- THIS IS A PAID INTERNSHIP. Pay scale depends on experience and qualifications. Plus, housing, meals, laundry service and travel reimbursement are provided!
CAMP AND COVID
In May of 2020 we made the tough decision to close our business for the season. You can view our closing message here. Looking ahead to 2021, we are confident that we will be prepared and ready for the challenges. We are working closely with our Medical Team to safely make this summer the best one yet! Now more than ever, the importance of Camp is evident; the fresh air, connecting with nature, impacting our youth and fostering a healthy, nurturing environment for the next generation to grow.
The next step is to fill out our online application. We will then connect to set up a video interview over Skype, Facetime or Zoom. Our internships are integrated with our hired camp counselor positions; there is one application. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us. 570-253-3266 or email@example.com