Do you want to spend your summer job working outdoors? Is making a difference in the lives of children important to you? Do you want to meet people from all over the world? Do you want to build your resume while having an amazing time? Do you need more experience working in a group setting with student age children? Prior experience working with kids is not a requirement!
Join our camp family this summer for a challenging and rewarding experience that will help you develop crucial skills you need for your future. Make a difference in the lives of our campers, while enjoying our beautiful outdoor facilities and working with a diverse team. Over the years, we have had many interns and staff members express how impactful this experience has been on them.
- Apply classroom learning, theories, and experiences to real world settings.
- Improve self confidence and initiative by working with a diverse, multicultural staff.
- Strengthen leadership, teamwork and communication skills while experiencing the importance and impact of being a positive role model to large groups of children.
- Take advantage of networking and mentoring opportunities from our Leadership Team, Alumni and Parent Network, including school educators, child psychologists, social workers and college counselors.
The role of a camp counselor is one of the best experiences you can have to prepare yourself for a career in education. At camp, you are directly involved with our community of 500 campers ages 7-17 and 300 staff members from around the world. Camp is an intense, challenging and rewarding 24/7 experience that teaches you how to work with people and impact children’s lives. As part of the internship experience you will be able to meet with and be mentored by many of our Senior Staff who are educators and child development experts. You will also have an opportunity to create, propose and execute innovative “lesson plans” in the camp environment to various different age groups. Based upon your concentration in school we can focus this internship on a particular age/development stage. Interns in the past have kept journals, written essays or made a video documentary about their experience to show future employers (we have a media staff that can help you create the perfect content for your resume!).
Your primary role will be working with the campers as a counselor, living in a cabin with campers and other co-counselors. Working at camp simply as a counselor, in-and-of-itself, provides hands-on experience and leadership opportunities, while building skills that hiring managers are looking for, such as flexibility, adaptability, initiative, self-direction, social and cross-cultural skills, productivity, accountability, leadership and responsibility. As a counselor, you will be directly responsible for the welfare and whereabouts of your campers. You will be under the guidance of your Group Leader and assist in supervision of the campers’ daily schedule.
Benefits of Interning at Camp Towanda:
- Individually tailored experience to meet your goals, working with school advisors so that you get the most out of your internship.
- Hands on program, working directly in your discipline.
- Real world work experience in the outdoors vs. an office or corporate setting, getting coffee or pushing papers.
- Receive routine feedback and supervision by a professional with expertise and educational/professional background in your associated field.
- Satisfy school internship requirements and earn credits if needed.
- Hours/week: Working at camp is not your typical job/internship. You are living and working at the same place in an immersive community lifestyle for 8 weeks.
- Work with a diverse team from around the world, impacting and inspiring today’s youth.
- Work on the set of the movie “Wet Hot American Summer”. Yup, it was filmed here!
- Join a vast network of Staff, Alumni and Parents that can connect you with future endeavors.
- THIS IS A PAID INTERNSHIP. Pay scale depends on experience and qualifications. Plus, housing, meals, laundry service and travel reimbursement are provided!
CAMP AND COVID
In May of 2020 we made the tough decision to close our business for the season. You can view our closing message here. Looking ahead to 2021, we are confident that we will be prepared and ready for the challenges. We are excited to work closely with our Medical Team to safely make this summer the best one yet! Now more than ever, the importance of Camp is evident; the fresh air, connecting with nature, impacting our youth and fostering a healthy, nurturing environment for the next generation to grow.
The next step is to fill out our online application. We will then connect to set up a video interview over Skype, Facetime or Zoom. Our internships are integrated with our hired camp counselor positions; there is one application. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us. 570-253-3266 or firstname.lastname@example.org