- Build upon the knowledge of your cooking skills and strengthen your ability to teach and work with children.
- Gain experience with meal preparation, supply ordering, facility and equipment management and curriculum development.
- Improve self confidence and initiative by working with a diverse, multicultural staff.
- Understand logistics and operations related to managing a children’s summer camp.
- Strengthen leadership, teamwork and communication skills while experiencing the importance and impact of being a positive role model to hundreds of children.
- Take advantage of networking and mentoring opportunities from our Leadership Team, Alumni and Parent Network.
As a Culinary Intern at Camp Towanda you will be working with a team of Chefs teaching daily cooking classes to our campers, boys and girls, ages 7-17. Your direct supervisor will be our Head Chef and you will be working closely with our Food Service Director and Program Director. We have a beautiful country kitchen with several workstations and all the equipment you need. A typical day consists of 3 classes (1.5 -2 hours each) plus prep work. The average class has 12 campers. Campers have signed up in advance for class and have expressed personal interest. They love our Culinary program! Classes consist of teaching and making several dishes….for example, it might be Mexican themed with a guacamole dip, enchilada and a churro for dessert. We like to make everything from scratch and teach the campers all steps from basic to advanced. We also have an herb and vegetable garden we use for some ingredients. This is a great way to develop your teaching skills, share your passion and be part of a fun team! You will also have the opportunity to be involved with our industrial kitchen, preparing and serving meals for the entire camp. This experience can be expanded to be a part of our catering hall once camp is over, serving rental groups.
To see menus from previous years, check out our CULINARY COOKBOOK that the campers download to use at home.
You will be involved with menu creation, teaching cooking and kitchen basics, kitchen management and compiling purchasing orders for food and other supplies. You will also be living in a cabin with campers and other co-counselors. Working at camp simply as a counselor, in-and-of-itself, provides hands-on experience and leadership opportunities, while building skills that hiring managers are looking for, such as flexibility, adaptability, initiative, self-direction, social and cross-cultural skills, productivity, accountability, leadership and responsibility. When not in the Kitchen, you will be with your assigned group as a counselor, ensuring safety and camaraderie.
Benefits of Interning at Camp Towanda:
- Individually tailored experience to meet your goals, working with school advisors so that you get the most out of your internship.
- Hands on program, working directly in your discipline.
- Real world work experience in the outdoors vs. an office or corporate setting, getting coffee or pushing papers.
- Receive routine feedback and supervision by a professional with expertise and educational/professional background in your associated field.
- Satisfy school internship requirements and earn credits if needed.
- Hours/week: Working at camp is not your typical job/internship. You are living and working at the same place in an immersive community lifestyle for 8 weeks.
- Work with a diverse team from around the world, impacting and inspiring today’s youth.
- Work on the set of the movie “Wet Hot American Summer”. Yup, it was filmed here!
- Join a vast network of Staff, Alumni and Parents that can connect you with future endeavors.
- THIS IS A PAID INTERNSHIP. Pay scale depends on experience and qualifications. Plus, housing, meals, laundry service and travel reimbursement are provided!
CAMP AND COVID
In May of 2020 we made the tough decision to close our business for the season. You can view our closing message here. Looking ahead to 2021, we are confident that we will be prepared and ready for the challenges. We are working closely with our Medical Team to safely make this summer the best one yet! Now more than ever, the importance of Camp is evident; the fresh air, connecting with nature, impacting our youth and fostering a healthy, nurturing environment for the next generation to grow.
The next step is to fill out our online application. We will then connect to set up a video interview over Skype, Facetime or Zoom. Our internships are integrated with our hired camp counselor positions; there is one application. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us. 570-253-3266 or email@example.com