ADVENTURE. BIG HEARTS. BIG SMILES. SONGS. LAUGHTER.
STARRY SKIES. CAMPFIRES.
GROWING HEALTHY GIRLS.
Maine Sleepaway Camp
Get rid of the Covid blues, join our team this summer.
Sleepaway camp in Maine is a rewarding way to spend your summer. You help campers grow their confidence, you gain practical leadership skills, you are encouraged to have fun and you get to meet great people from around the world. Lastly, you can’t beat living on a lake, being surrounded by tall pine trees, a bugle for your alarm clock and an overabundance of cheering and singing.
Camp Tapawingo is for girls ages 8 – 15. Our campers have an active and mostly outdoor experience with our tight-knit community. During the day our campers: play sports, spend time on the waterfront, participate in performing arts & studio arts, ride horses or do a variety of outdoor adventures. For our entire camp we eat 3 daily meals together and have an all-camp evening programs – 75 staff and 140 campers. Life in a bunk is like a little family – starting and ending the day together. At camp our bunks intentionally wind down their day with time together.
Positions Available (prior experience required, training provided)
All of our staff get to teach an activity. Below is a list of the activities that we offer. All areas have a department manager that both teaches campers and supports your growth as an instructor.
- Arts & Crafts – general, photography, pottery, print making, stained glass
- Horseback Riding – english style
- Performing Arts – acting, dance, tech
- Ropes Course – high and low ropes course staff
- Sports – archery, basketball, gymnastics, soccer, softball, tennis, volleyball
- Waterfront – canoeing, sailing, SUP, swimming, water skiing
- Trips – backpacking, base camping, camp craft, camping, canoeing, hiking
Live in a bunk with campers and a co-counselor. Your campers will need your guidance and support throughout the summer. They will lean on you when they miss home or are dealing with a personal issue. They will also seek your maturity when scheming their bunk prank, for our camp this means surprising a person or group with a laughter filled surprise! Our bunk supervisors support you to be able to grow a cohesive bunk community and to support the individual needs of your campers.
- Meals as a camp
- Coaching / Instructing
- 1 teaching period off to participate in other activities (e.g. learn to sail)
- Support one of your campers or your bunk through a challenging moment (e.g. homesickness or clique issues)
- Receive guidance and support from your supervisors as an instructor and as a bunk counselor
- Pay – starting pay is $2050 + partial travel reimbursement + housing + meals + certifications as needed for your position + training
- Training – is ongoing throughout the summer with an intensive 1 week long institute at the start of our season to cover topics such as how to coach or how to live with campers and help them thrive! Additionally camp will cover the full or partial cost of trainings specific to your position.
- Getting To Camp – camp will provide a travel stipend plus provide transportation from the Portland Maine airport and bus terminals to Tapawingo and vice versa at the end of the season.
- Time Off – 6 days and 6 nights off over a 9 week period, 1 teaching period per day, additional daily time off
- Housing – this is camp! Nothing fancy, it is rustic and comfortable. Female staff get to will live in bunks with campers while male staff live in separate quarters.
- Food – cafeteria meals as a camp. We accommodate most diets, allergies and sensitivities.
- Internships / Academic Credit Available
The word Tapawingo means “Place of Joy”, hopefully the description we are providing begins to explain how we achieve our name. Working at Camp Tapawingo is signing on to a summer of adventure. I encourage you to contact us to learn more about this experience.
- Experience working with children, preferred
- Experience in the area that your are interested in teaching
- A team player
- Willingness to try something new
- A desire to make the world a better place
- A growth mindset
- Inspire our campers towards greatness
- Empower our campers to overlook barriers
- Be present for our campers – both physically and mentally
- Pitch in where needed
- Be safe & be fun!
We hope to receive your application! Please reach out to JD if you have questions.
Application at: http://www.camptapawingo.com/Summer-Camp-Job-Applications
Hiring begins January 1. Applications are reviewed from November 1 until all positions are filled.