Who we are
Located in Duluth, Minnesota, ALLETE is the parent company of Minnesota Power, SWL&P, BNI Energy, and ALLETE Clean Energy. We deliver affordable, reliable energy services in the upper Midwest. If you have an IT-related bachelor’s degree with the experience outlined below, ALLETE is interested in having you join our Operational Systems team.
What you will be doing
If chosen as the most qualified candidate, you will be working as a System Administrator I with a highly motivated and talented team that supports the safe and reliable operation of the electric grid for much of Northern Minnesota. Collectively the group is responsible for managing a full stack of technology – everything from mission-critical applications to operating systems, hypervisors, physical hardware, and the network that connects it all. Supporting systems for configuration management, patching, backups, and cyber security are included in the mix as well.
In this role, you will help analyze, design, implement, test, and continuously improve this infrastructure to ensure operational, compliance, regulatory, and security standards are met. You will assist in providing support, creating and maintaining documentation, and assure system performance and reliability. This is a dynamic role that calls for continuous learning and frequent collaboration with team members and business stakeholders.
What you need for this position
- A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Computer Information Systems, or a related field of study
- Related experience preferred, but not required:
- Primary skillsets:
- Virtual infrastructure administration (VMware preferred)
- Linux server administration (Red Hat-based distributions preferred)
- Windows server administration including Active Directory and Group Policy
- Secondary skillsets:
- HP Hardware
- Cisco Hyperflex
- Microsoft SQL Server
- SolarWinds Suite
- Cyber security system management
- Network administration
- Java-based programming
- Dell EMC Integrated Data Protection Appliance (IDPA)
- Ability to work within a change management / change control framework
- Ability to work within a compliance foundation
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability and desire to learn new concepts and technologies
- Intrinsic motivation to provide exemplary customer service
- Ability to work independently and effectively in an environment where priorities can change at a moment’s notice
- Occasional off-hours support is required
- Occasional travel to other company locations is required
- Candidate may be subject to an assessment of skills, background check, drug screening, and/or aptitude evaluation
- Candidate must reside or be willing to relocate to be within 20 miles of work locations in Duluth, MN or Eveleth, MN
Employer will not sponsor Visas for position.
External applicants must apply online via www.allete.com/careers.
ALLETE is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability, age, marital status, membership or activity in a local human rights commission, status with regard to public assistance or any other protected class.
If you are an individual with disabilities who needs accommodation or you are having difficulty using our website to apply for employment, please contact our Human Resources department at 218-723-7553.